Windows 7 Cannot see pc on network

dbsportsbrit

I have a pc and a laptop wired to my at&t 2wire they both work internet fine but I cannot see my pc from my laptop or vice versa and wdlive can only be seen on the laptop network My laptop is wired/wireless any suggestions

Here is a basic question before we start some additional steps to take it further.

Can you please go to Start -> Search -> cmd.exe

Launch the command console
Type: net view

Are you able to see a list of both systems? You may need to configure File/Print/Media sharing on both systems.

Before I could offer any possible solutions I would need to know:
1 Is this a recent problem, or have you ever been able to see the other computer on the net?
2 What operation system is installed on each machine?
3 If Windows 7 is installed on either machine, is it password protected?
4 Are the drives of each computer shared?
5 Is the Workgroup the same on both computers?

I have a pc and a laptop wired to my at&t 2wire they both work internet fine but I cannot see my pc from my laptop or vice versa and wdlive can only be seen on the laptop network My laptop is wired/wireless any suggestions

It has always had the same network name since i first setup a few years ago I have just tried to network them.
WIn7 is on both machines not password protected
both drives are set to share
they are both in the workgroup "worgroup"

are you talking about the win7 password or the homegroup password i have put in the homegroup password as to win7 it just does not see my laptop or other devices on the network my laptop sees

why does a win7 password make a differnce

As RuralTexan pointed out, a password is needed by default. Microsoft designed it like this so hackers can't easily gain control of your machine by logging into it the same way you do: without a password.

You really want to create a password for the accounts in use for security reasons and also then you'll be able to share as well.

If you still want Windows to boot to desktop without needing to type the actual password, type netplwiz in the start menu then press enter. Use this screen to set it so.

I ran net magic and it still only sees the pc and the internet and my laptop shows everything except the pc so i am thinking the way it can be done is to go wireless and try that any suggestions

Yes all that is running but what i did find out is that the default gateway is wrong so any suggestions on how to change that Att tech said to re-set tcp/ip stack any suggestions

If both machines are on the same Workgroup, have file sharing turned on, are password protected, have one or more items shared (folders, files or drives) and are only using the Microsoft firewall and anti virus, then you should be able to see all computers on your net. On my network I have four computers. Two are Windows 7, two are Windows XP SP3 and all but one desktop computer are wireless. Being wireless should do nothing to help or hinder your being able to see them on your map.

Go to Control Panel-All Control Panel Items-Network Map. If you don't see your computers there, is there a sentence at the bottom of the page that says "Click here to see all other devices"? Click on that and you should see everything on your network.

Things like ZoneAlarm, Norton, McAfee and others just slow down your computer and give no better protection than Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft firewall. (That is not just my opinion) See this quote from Fred Langa of Windows Secrets...

Earlier this year, when Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) was still new, I decided to put it to an extensive real-life test by making it the only full-time security solution on my daily-use and portable PCs. I then reported my initial results in the May 6 Link Removed due to 404 Error, "The 120-day Microsoft security suite test drive." I also promised future updates.

So here it is: after six months of full-time use on nine different systems, MSE looks like a solid winner.

For my tests, I used Windows' built-in firewall (on XP, Vista, and Win7) and a copy of Microsoft Security Essentials, which I allowed to run with its default settings. Over the past six months, my main PCs have been online 24/7 and my two portables have logged over 20,000 miles (32,000 kilometers) of use in hotels, coffee shops, cars, planes, ships, and other assorted public venues.

All the machines have remained clean. They've suffered no malware or virus infections whatsoever.

Good Luck

Back