Windows 7 can't boot to disc

jardr

:(OK I did a complete reinstall of windows but didn't activate it because I was going to install Windows 7 --I then changed bootup drive and restarted it goes to vertifying dmi pool data--then it goes to boot from cd and sits there then it goes on to starting windows xp. I tried to read disc from my computer but it won't show up.:confused:

nope not a bad drive loaded windows xp from it --- it also loads other cd's but won't load the one I made from iso software.

Tks

sounds like either a bad burn to disc or the iso did not download completely or it is corrupt? I recommend redownloading the beta from the microsoft website and then using imgburn to burn it to a disc.

You choose the word CD very carefully. Windows 7 will not fit on a cd. are u sure that you have a dvd drive? IF you do have you tried playing or booting to another dvd?

Last edited:
:eek: no not a bad burn burned it twice with 2 different softwares and it will boot on my other comp and also my laptop. I am still working on it sooner or later I will get it ----maybe.

Do you have a CD/DVD Drive or is it just for DVDs. It either is the fact that there is a problem with the driver or your drive cannot play DVDs

Win 7 beta install very wierd problems booting DVD

I decided to install Win 7 public beta on an old, spare system. I've had strange results. I built the installation DVD on 2 different PC's - a desktop running XP Pro SP3, and a laptop running Vista HP SP1. The XP box DVD I'm not sure about - I've had some trouble reading DVD's from that PC. The Vista PC definitely puts out clean DVD's. I've use IMGburn and other burners. When I put any win 7 (32 bit) into the old PC, post generally either hangs until it is removed, or goes very slowly and eventually goes past the DVD. Any other bootable DVD or CD brings up the usual 'hit any key to boot from..." and the PC comes up normally on that disc. Ubuntu 8.10 installs normally (from a CD). But I can't boot the win 7 DVD.

BTW, on the 2 pc's I built win 7 dvd's on, either one would easily install win 7 (at least start to).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.!

Thanks!

You could always load it onto a flash drive and install. (If your PC supports booting from USB)
Takes about 5 mins to ready and copy to the flash drive, then about 75% of the time it takes with a CD to install from the flash drive.

To do this;

1. Get a USB Drive, it must be at least 4 GB.
2. Plug the drive into your PC.
3. Open a command prompt as administrator. (Right click, Open as Admin, or Ctrl+Shift+Click)
4. Get the drive number by typing:
diskpart
list disk
On my machine the USB disk was number 1.
5. Format the drive by typing:
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=NTFS
assign
exit
6. Mount the Windows 7 beta iso or insert the disk.
7. Navigate to the boot directory
cd E:\boot
8. Using bootsect, we’ll make the USB drive a bootable NTFS drive, ready for a Windows 7 image (my drive was labeled G):
bootsect /nt60 G:
9. We are finished with the command prompt now, so you can close it.

Copy the installation files from the mounted Windows 7 iso/disk to the USB drive.

using a flash drive to install - or not

Kyle,

The bios is too old to support flash drive booting, but given that I didn't know anything about the diskpart and other commands (I'm too used to gui based utilities these days) I appreciate the instructions - I'll keep them for upgrades on newer PC's. Eventually I'll upgrade my one Vista laptop to Win 7 (assuming that it looks like a safe upgrade, and it ought to).

Thanks,

Ron

just a side-note: it is possible to install or upgrade windows 7 without burning it. just mount the iso file with daemon tools or something similair. it works, I tried it. only thing is if something goes wrong you won't have a boot-disc, but as long as you got a backup xp or vista disc it won't be that bad.

just a side-note: it is possible to install or upgrade windows 7 without burning it. just mount the iso file with daemon tools or something similair. it works, I tried it. only thing is if something goes wrong you won't have a boot-disc, but as long as you got a backup xp or vista disc it won't be that bad.
How can I have that accessible at boot time?

Last edited:

I ran the ISO on Daemon tools on Vista and installed to an empty hard drive. It copies all the required files before a restart. After restart, boot into Windows 7 Setup. No burn required:razz:

booting win 7 install when dvd not being read

The system is running Ubuntu 8.10 only, with an empty partition ready for Windows. Grub is the bootloader. USB is not enabled in the bios for booting (old bios). To repeat, while ubnuntu dvd's work absolutely normally at boot time, any other dvd in the drive either hangs the end of post (or slows it way down) or is ignored (no message to hit any key to boot off of CD) and the ubuntu boot happens.

Maybe this system is just too old to even read the 32 bit installation disc (though I can't imagine why).

Back