Windows 7 Can't change network name

See post #7 to answer your question. The Icon that he mentions is under "View your active networks" in the Network & Sharing Center.

I'm quite familar with the contents of post #7, since I wrote it myself. :rolleyes:

I was questioning the ability to change the Network Name from the 'Change adapter settings' link.

I'm quite familar with the contents of post #7, since I wrote it myself. :rolleyes:

I was questioning the ability to change the Network Name from the 'Change adapter settings' link.
Network names cannot be changed from the Adopter Settings, it needs to be changed by clicking the name of the network on the Network & Sharing Center screen.

Thanks for posting

How to change network type. Is that what the OP was asking then? I suppose re-reading it, that probably was the case. I just found this thread because I googled for '"windows 7" change network name' (since that was my original problem) and this thread was the first hit.

I thought I'd found just another user with the same problem, so once I figured it out for myself, I thought it only polite to post back to this same thread. At least now anyone else doing a similar search hopefully will find a useful solution and not just another problem that sounds similar to theirs (from the title) but is actually different. ;-)

I did exactly the same, I havnt read the 2nd/3rd pages so I cant comment cos I got the answer I needed (Click on the picture of the Bench or whatever) I googled for "windows 7 name a network", which brought me to this thread. and my problem is solved.

Thanks for taking the time.

The whole problem is another example of M$ crapping down their OS, they make it so simple ONLY an idiot could (or would want to) use it.

Hi,

Where are you when you click on what icons [Network and Sharing Center]?

"Had same problem, and it turned out you can click on those network connection icons, and then a window will pop up to allow name changes. :razz:"

Thanks,
Joe

I found that clicking on the network icon in 'Network and Sharing Center', NOT the name of the network or the link to the type of network, e.g. 'Home Network', but the actual image (in my case a picture of a house) brings up the hidden 'Set Network Properties'!

Here you can change the 'Network name', 'Network Icon' and also 'Merge or delete network locations'.

Thank You for this, Just what I was looking for!!!

I was looking to reanme the network from "Network 2" to "Netgear-N", I see this doesn't change network type and such, but I was only looking to change the name.

Oh mighty master I do.. actually I do want to say thanks tho because you actually had a relevant post that actually answered my question... Ive been trying to figure out how to change that forever and you helped in a matter of seconds!

Hi there.

I don't know if this is only fixed for some build newer than 7000 (I only found this by accident after installing 7100 today) but I had another go to see if I could change the network name since I didn't manage before (with 7000) and I found that clicking on the network icon in 'Network and Sharing Center', NOT the name of the network or the link to the type of network, e.g. 'Home Network', but the actual image (in my case a picture of a house) brings up the hidden 'Set Network Properties'!

Here you can change the 'Network name', 'Network Icon' and also 'Merge or delete network locations'.

How hidden is that!

You may worship me, unless of course this is now common knowledge, but I cetainly couldn't find out how to do this when I looked using Google when I first tried the beta (build 7000).

Back