Windows 8 Can't Connect to Remote SQL Server from Windows 8 PC

jmdennis

Hi all,

I have a new Windows 8 pc and I need to connect to our website's remote SQL Server database. Everything works fine on our older Windows 7 pc's, but on Windows 8 I get a "The server was not found or was not accessible..." error.

Our hosting company has us use a VPN in order to connect to SQL Server and the VPN shows that it is connecting fine so that should not be causing this problem. We have a MS Access front end application that we use to view and edit data and I have tried using that to connect and I have also tried using SQL Server Management Studio 2012 and they both return the same above error. Both of these options work fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

We have Norton Internet Security installed on all of our pc's here and I also tried disabling that, but I still got the same above error so I don't think Norton is causing this problem either. I believe this must be something related to Windows 8.

I've been researching this online and I tried to ping our server and it worked from a Windows 7 pc right next to me and timed out on my Windows 8 pc. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise so I don't really know what that means.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

When VPNed in can you ping the SQL server? Can you telnet to the port that SQL listens on? Good steps to start with...

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro.

On our older Windows 7 Pro pc, I can connect the VPN and then ping with no problem. On the new Windows 8 Pro pc, I can connect the VPN, and it returns: 'pinging servername [73.43...]' so it does show the IP, but then it shows: 'Request timed out.' Packets: Sent=4,Rec'd=0,Lost=4

I haven't used Telnet before, but I just read how to do it online and it returned 'Connect failed'.

Also, I do have a second website at a different hosting company. That site does not require a VPN and I can connect to that one from Windows 8, I just can't connect to our primary site above.

When I do 'ipconfig /all', the DNS Server seems to be exactly the same on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 pc's.

Back