Windows 7 Can't copy certain files to Win 7

GiGiMcBreen

I'm trying to copy a series of files from my old XP machine to the new Win 7 machine. I've turned off User access control, I made myself the owner of the machine, etc., the files on the old machine have no permissions preventing the copying. I am the owner of both machines and there is no firewall blocking the files. About every third or fourth file says I need admin permission to copy it. But I can't figure out how to give myself this permission. Out of 400 in the folder, 296 copied over, the remainer did not. These are not executables, they are machine embroidery files with the file extension ".pes". This is just the first folder I need to copy. I have almost 100,000 of these files that have to be copied and can't afford to lose any.

I can't find anything online that relates to this kind of issue. How do I clear this out so I can get these files copied to the new machine? It would be very helpful if anyone could explain what criteria Win 7 uses to determine which files it will copy and which require admin permission. Is it the length of the file name? Characters in the filename? The name of the folder they are going into? I would sure hate to have to rename 100,000 files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
GiGi

How many is too many? I was trying to copy 8 files and only 5 would copy. With nearly 100,000 files, I really don't want to have to do them 5 files at a time. This seems unbelievably restrictive. These files are all about 40K, not huge.

Jan

Only do a certain amount at one time.

Also,you might want to download TeraCopy

I downloaded it but there isn't even a help menu to tell you what to do. Any idea how this Terracopy works? All it says is No files and Select Target Folder?? But there is no menu, nothing to tell you how this works or what goes where.

Have you given Terracopy a try?

It adds a right-click context menu when you right-click on a directory.

Select that.then choose the target.

Okay, I used teracopy and the results are exactly the same. It still won't copy a series of files from one directory on the XP machine to one on the Win7 machine. All it says is Open Error: access is denied. I checked some of these on the XP machine and there is nothing wrong with them.

Any other suggestions?

Copying files over the network has proved to be a problem.

Try this script which will add Take Ownership to the right-click context menu of a directory. Choose the directory you are copying to and run this command/ Now try the copy process again.

No guarantees, but worth a try.

Extract the file and double-click on the installtakeownership.reg file.

Thanks for your continued help - I will try this next.

GiGi

Copying files over the network has proved to be a problem.

Try this script which will add Take Ownership to the right-click context menu of a directory. Choose the directory you are copying to and run this command/ Now try the copy process again.

No guarantees, but worth a try.

Extract the file and double-click on the installtakeownership.reg file.

hello, I did all of that and none of it worked.

My old machine was a WinXP professional, 32-bit, and when I gave it away I copied everything onto this external HDD drive, formatted using NTFS file system.

I got this new HP dm1 laptop that comes with Win 7, also 32-bit and an NTFS drive. I'm trying to copy my files back, and I have about 50 exe's that won't copy for the same reason as everybody else's: you need permission.

I obtained ownership, gave permissions, used TerraCopy and even tried folder sharing, and none of that worked. to compound my problem, having grabbed ownership on the new device, another XP-run laptop won't copy the files either. What the..!!!

What do you suggest further?

I need to be able to copy everything form the drive in order for me to empty it, and use it as back up: urgent MA degree stuff.

SOLUTION: Can't copy certain files to Win 7

Hello I do not know if you already solved your problems regarding file copying problem. I had the same scenario as yours that is why I was able to find this thread. Since this thread did not really contain a solution that worked for you I would just like to share what I did to allow me to copy my files I had backed up on a USB drive from a windows xp machine to windows 7.

STEPS TO FOLLOW
1. Know the name of the computer you are using. This is your windows 7 username. If you click the start button you should be able to see your name near your avatar.
2. Right click the file that doesn't want to be copied and click PROPERTIES
3. Select the SECURITY tab
4. Click the EDIT button (this will allow you to add users that can access this file)
5. Click ADD button and type the username you used in windows 7 and click on OK
6. Select your username and make sure to check the Allow checkbox of FULL CONTROL

If you follow this guide you should be able to transfer your files to your windows 7 Machine. If you are copying multiple files I think it would be better if you try to put them in a folder and then right click on the folder and follow the same steps I gave you above.

Happy transferring.

Cheers,
Joey

Back
Top Bottom