Windows 7 Can't Copy Files To HDD

Rafay Shaukat

Hey guys, I own a WD Passport (320GB). I'm having problems in copying files from my PC to the HDD. It was working fine a few days ago but I can't seem to copy any file though I can easily read the files stored at a very high speed. But the problem is probably with my computer since I can copy files from my laptop without an itch. So guys could suggest what's going on? How to fix it?

P.S. I use Windows 7 32-bit on both PC and laptop.

Rafay Shaukat;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Can you provide some additional information?
I can't seem to copy any file
What happens when you do (or try to do), any prompts, error messages, access denied, or just nothing at all happens?

You're welcome, replies are what we do here, however; actual answers and solutions might be a different story.
Does this problem happen regardless of the
file(s) size?
number of files you are attempting to transfer at any given time?
Have you ran chkdsk /R on the external drive?
Have you recently defragged both the source drive and destination drive?
Can we assume that your Windows 7 install is up to date? (service packs, updates, patches and hotfixes) since this was reported as a pretty prevalent problem early on but I thought that MS had addressed it with a hotfix.
See if the problem persists if you boot the machine into safe mode

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, does the type of file seem to have any impact on the issue. In other words a single or couple .mov or .avi files as compared to a folder full of .txt files?

Last edited:
Back