Windows 7 can't delete files/folder (not a newbie)

paradive

it's a folder of music i downloaded.

first it had a padlock icon over the folder. i ran 'takeown' to take care of that, but i'm STILL getting

"you'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"

um... I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR! so i click "continue", then i get "you require permission from james-laptop\james to make changes to this folder".

THAT'S WHO I'M LOGGED IN AS! (me, the administrator)

i've set security to that folder as "full control" for all users (only me), groups and service but i cannot delete the SOB!

fine. so i killed explorer and, in a command window ran "del /a:h" BUT NOW IT SAYS IT CAN'T FIND 2 FILES EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE THERE! (i restart explorer and try to delete them that way like an idiot). and don't even get me started on rmdir!

PLEASE! I'VE LOST HALF OF MY HAIR OVER THIS!

any ideas?
(is the unlock software an idea? i'd rather get to do it manually)

Hi

When is says you must be logged in as administrator it doesn't mean in the usual way.
To get access to all the forbidden stuff you have to go through this procedure.

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in ā€¦.

net user administrator /active:no

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

When is says you must be logged in as administrator it doesn't mean in the usual way.
To get access to all the forbidden stuff you have to go through this procedure.

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in ā€¦.

net user administrator /active:no

Hope this helps.

Mike

when entering the 1st command, i get a "access is denied" error.
i wish i knew what the hell was going on...

R-click the offending file. Is Unlocker in your Context Menu? (Should be, I think it's a "Yes" by default option). You don't open a window, as such.

R-click the offending file. Is Unlocker in your Context Menu? (Should be, I think it's a "Yes" by default option). You don't open a window, as such.

still nothing. i think it has something to do with uninstalling the bing bar right after it was done installing. now it's pissed at me. =)
fixed my problem tho... i right clicked the troublesome folder, moused over "share", then selected homegroup and then i was able to delete it.

Well glad you're sorted!!

What Bing bar? That's not in with unlocker now is it?

Yes it does. Helps if you read the changelog! I'd uninstall and re-try without the gumf.

Last edited:
Well glad you're sorted!!

What Bing bar? That's not in with unlocker now is it?

Yes it does. Helps if you read the changelog! I'd uninstall and re-try without the gumf.

sadly, yes. unlocker wouldn't install w/o installing it so after it was all done, i went and uninstalled the bing bar then tried using unlocker but i think by then i had angered it.
maybe it just run w/o the bing bar intalled(?)
gumf?

Gumf = Rubbish, crap, whatever.

There is an option to not install Bing when installing Unlocker.

when entering the 1st command, i get a "access is denied" error.
i wish i knew what the hell was going on...

I'm guessing you missed the part where it says "Right Click the Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator".

Mike

Relatively new here, but not a computer noob by any means.

I'm trying to remove the public folder from my user accounts folder, but it's locked and won't allow me to delete it even when I'm logged in as the administrator. :mad:

I downloaded and installed Unlocker, but it does not show up when I right click on the locked public folder. :confused:

What am I missing here??

Back