Windows 10 Can't find other devices on LAN

djchapple

Extraordinary Member
I am reasonable acquainted with windows computers and Android phones; as much as a long retired engineer ( I worked with all kinds of computers) can be.

To overcome some of the boredom, much to great annoyance of my wife (who strangely thinks I already spend too much time on computers!), I have just bought a Raspberry Pi'

I have the Pi up and running and I am now trying to send files to and thro.

On my local LAN I have my computer, y wifes laptop (both Win 10), two Android phones, an Android Tablet, a printer, a smart TV, a Firestick and an Alexa device. All appear to happily connect to the LAN.

When I go into my Windows 10 Network folder all I see is the printer. My wifes computer and the Pi are missing.

Networking is one of my very many weakness. Can anyone point me towards a good guide on this topic and/or offer suggestions as to how I should proceed. in setting my network properly.

On your running PC, click on Start >> Power button at the bottom of the menu and choose the Shutdown option.
Once your PC has shut down completely, unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC if you are using it to connect to the Internet and let the cable stay unplugged for at least a couple of minutes before plugging it back in. Meanwhile, restart your router and your modem by clicking the Power buttons located on them before you plug the cable back into the computer.
Turn the PC on normally by pressing the power button.

There are quite a few ways devices discover each other on a LAN. You may want to focus on making sure SSDP is working on all the Windows hosts and also make sure it's not getting blocked by host based firewalls. For Linux you need to install an SSDP responder since it doesn't have a native one.

It's pretty common, when you plug your Windows device in for the first time to a network you will get a pop-up asking if you want the device visible to others on the network. If someone clicks no this will generally set the local firewall policy to Public which basically assumes you're on an untrusted network and you will need to change the firewall policy to Private (aka trusted network)

From an elevated powershell prompt type
Get-NetConnectionProfile and look at NetworkCategory, if it doesn't say private then you can change it with the following powershell command
Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategory Private

Back