Windows 7 Cant find partition

kaamila

I wanted to reinstall Windows 7 without deleting all of my personal things(songs/movies etc) so I decided to partition the drive(C drive). I follow the steps, and partition half of my C Drive. During this I'm running youtube videos and a movie in the background and I got blue screened. When I get back on I notice my C drive has half the space it originally(as if i partitioned) but I cannot for the life of me find that partition in disk management. This is a screen shot of that :
DM.png

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you rebooted your system to make sure the partitions are being read?

Have you tried rescanning the drives from the Action menu?

When you partitioned, did you shrink the volume?

Maybe the blue screen stopped the completion of the action and left it in an intermediate state. If it doesn't come back, you may want to download Partition Wizard (Free for Home use) to look at the drive.

Just be careful and don't take any action until you think it safe.

Have you rebooted your system to make sure the partitions are being read?

Have you tried rescanning the drives from the Action menu?

When you partitioned, did you shrink the volume?

Maybe the blue screen stopped the completion of the action and left it in an intermediate state. If it doesn't come back, you may want to download Partition Wizard (Free for Home use) to look at the drive.

Just be careful and don't take any action until you think it safe.

Yes I rebooted and rescanned the drives from the action menu and yes i did shrink the volume when i partitioned. ill try the partition wizard.

So Partition Wizard did not show anything different than Disk Management? Are you using the bootable version or the install version.

I suppose the last thing I could suggest is to open an Administrative command prompt. Type the following with Enter after:

Diskpart

List disk

select disk 0
<-- The disk with the problem, may not be 0

List Partition

See what shows here. If it shows the same thing as Disk Management, maybe the partition was never shrunk. You can also:

Select Partition 2 <-- Should be you C: partition

Detail Partition and see what it shows.

Exit leaves the utility.

You can try running a chkdsk on the partition to see if it might fix anything. Partition Wizard is supposed to be able to recover partitions, or you can try to shrink it again to see what it shows. You don't have to actually start the shrink process, just see what it says as far as space available. Maybe something will correct the partition info.

I wanted to reinstall Windows 7 without deleting all of my personal things(songs/movies etc) so I decided to partition the drive(C drive). I follow the steps, and partition half of my C Drive. During this I'm running youtube videos and a movie in the background and I got blue screened. When I get back on I notice my C drive has half the space it originally(as if i partitioned) but I cannot for the life of me find that partition in disk management. This is a screen shot of that :
View attachment 21201

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

How can you re-partition Win 7 installed and running disk ? Doing that, you need to format or delete/recreate the partition.

Back
Top Bottom