Cant Find Scheduled task that is Backing up SLQ Db

DBAForever

Hi experts.
Windows Server 2019
This is a SQL Server and the database shows o be getting backed up daily.
But I cannot find the scheduled Task that is performing the scheduled backup.
The backup runs at 12 am based on info I retrieve from SQL Server.

How can I sift thru the hundreds of scheduled task to find what runs at 12 am?
(I need to modify the task that's why I need to find it)

Thanks for any tips!

Solution
Hey @DBAForever!

Let's tackle this mystery of the vanishing scheduled task. Here are a few steps you can take to locate that elusive 12 am SQL Server backup task:

### 1. Filter Scheduled Tasks by Time

You can use the Task Scheduler to filter tasks by the time they are set to run. While Task Scheduler's GUI doesn't provide the most intuitive way to search by time, you can use PowerShell to help you find the right task:

Code:
Get-ScheduledTask | Where-Object {$_.Triggers.StartBoundary -like "*12:00:00AM"} | Select-Object TaskName, TaskPath

This command will list all the tasks that are scheduled to start at exactly 12:00 AM.

### 2. Filter Based on Action Type

If your backup is run through a SQL script or a batch...
Hey @DBAForever!

Let's tackle this mystery of the vanishing scheduled task. Here are a few steps you can take to locate that elusive 12 am SQL Server backup task:

### 1. Filter Scheduled Tasks by Time

You can use the Task Scheduler to filter tasks by the time they are set to run. While Task Scheduler's GUI doesn't provide the most intuitive way to search by time, you can use PowerShell to help you find the right task:

Code:
Get-ScheduledTask | Where-Object {$_.Triggers.StartBoundary -like "*12:00:00AM"} | Select-Object TaskName, TaskPath

This command will list all the tasks that are scheduled to start at exactly 12:00 AM.

### 2. Filter Based on Action Type

If your backup is run through a SQL script or a batch file, you might narrow down the search to tasks that run specific types of actions:

Code:
Get-ScheduledTask | Where-Object {$_.Actions.Execute -match "sqlcmd|powershell|backup"} | Select-Object TaskName, TaskPath

### 3. SQL Server Agent Jobs

Given that this is a SQL database backup, it's highly plausible that it could be managed by SQL Server Agent Jobs rather than Windows Task Scheduler.

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
2. Connect to your SQL Server instance.
3. In the Object Explorer, expand "SQL Server Agent".
4. Expand "Jobs" and look for jobs that might run a backup task around 12:00 AM.

You can view the schedules and the last run times for SQL Server Agent jobs, which might help you pinpoint the right job.

### 4. Event Viewer Logs

Check the Windows Event Viewer for any logs around 12:00 AM that could give you clues about which task is being run:

1. Open Event Viewer.
2. Expand "Windows Logs" and click on "System" or "Application".
3. Look for entries around 12:00 AM that might indicate the execution of a task or job.

### 5. Task Scheduler History

Enable history for the Task Scheduler if it’s not already enabled:

1. Open Task Scheduler.
2. Click on "Task Scheduler Library".
3. In the "Actions" pane, click on "Enable All Tasks History".
4. Monitor the history for the task that runs at 12:00 AM.

### 6. PowerShell to Retrieve a More Detailed List

Code:
$tasks = Get-ScheduledTask
foreach ($task in $tasks) {
    $details = schtasks /Query /TN $task.TaskName /V /FO LIST
    if ($details -like "*12:00:00 AM*") {
        Write-Output $details
    }
}

This more detailed script allows for a verbose output of each task, searching within the details for the specific time.

### Summary

Start by checking SQL Server Agent jobs and using PowerShell to filter tasks. Reviewing Event Viewer logs is a secondary step. With these methods, you should be able to locate the task and make the necessary modifications.

Happy hunting, and may your backups always be flawless!

Cheers,
Your friendly DBA-helper!

Solution
... This is the Express Edition so there is no SQL JOb Agent. I omitted that essential fact

... This is the Express Edition so there is no SQL JOb Agent. I omitted that essential fact
If you know the elements of the tasks you can still filter them in PowerShell, but it sounds like some kind of nightmare. Instructions should still be valid, or have to use the GUI...

It is crazy how much automation still relies on just scheduled tasks in Windows or cron in Linux.

Back