Windows 7 Can't get recording sound to work.

Rudolf

Hi all,

I recently tried recording the sound coming from my speakers with a program like Audacity.

I found some help somewhere on the web on how to activate the 'stereomix'. Now I can finally press the recording button without getting that error 'device not found' however it still doesn't record anything. It just records nothingness even though my volume is up, and that there is some sound/music playing from my speakers.

Also, my computer keeps recognizing my speaker set as a headset, not sure if that has anything to do with this problem.

Anyone know what's causing this problem? Thanks.

Regards

So you went to the Recording Devices and allowed showing the disabled devices. You then enabled the stereo mix, which should have made that source available.

Are there any settings on the Configure or Properties buttons that might help?

Does Audacity need to be set to see the new source?

There are some communications settings on the Sound dialog, but they normally deal with headsets with microphones with which you can communicate.

Do you have any dedicated Sound Mixers in the Control Panel, like a Realtek utility?

Since I don't have Audacity, I can't really give you a definite answer.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried different options with Audacity, like changing the recording and play devices but no result. I tried different combinations but none of them seem to give result.

I do have a 'dedicated' sound mixer of Realtek, and I tried searching for any options there as well. There are three tabs there; Digital output, Headphones, and Stereo-mix, of which the last two have a checkmark.

Also I three extra options called 'MME', 'Windows Directsound' and 'Windows WASAPI' in Audacity. Tried them all three in combination with Headphones and Stereomix but nothing.

This is so frustrating.

Now I must say that at first I didn't have any 'recording device' at all according to Audacity, not until I installed some drivers from the Realtek website and after that I found out how to activate Stereomix.

Do you think it would be an idea to revert the driver installation and just activate the Stereomix? Maybe these new sound drivers are getting in the way somehow.

I've made a restore point just before installing those drivers.

Regards

I don't know about changing the drivers, but what source are you using for the stereo mix for recording. I seem to remember something about using line in, but I was recording my old LP collection at the time.

I have not tried to use Stereo Mix in a while, so I would not be aware if some changes had caused that to be limited for some reason.

Back