Windows 7 Can't Get Rid of Vista Boot Screen

bikeracer4487

There was another thread on this subject but it wasn't answered successfully and the last reply was 2 months ago so I thought I'd start a new one. I have 3 HDD's in my desktop computer but only one is used for an OS (the other 2 are just storage) and only ever 1 OS at a time, no multibooting for me. Back when the Windows 7 Beta came out I completely wiped the hard drive and installed the 64-bit beta on it. Since then, I have installed builds 7057, 7077, and 7100 (all 64-bit) on it using the Upgrade option and some times deleting the partition and formatting a new one and it has never started up using the Windows 7 boot screen, instead it always starts up using the old Vista boot screen. I have installed the same versions of Windows 7 on 2 other desktops and 2 other laptops in my household and all of them have a working Windows 7 boot screen. All but 1 laptop were installed using a clean install but the 1 laptop was upgraded. I have tried bcdboot and bceedit and have yet to find a solution that works. Here are the specs of the system that won't display the proper boot screen:

Windows 7 Build 7100 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0GHz
Sceptre 22" LCD Monitor @ 1680x1050 w/ DVI
2x nVidia 8800GT's in SLI
4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 memory modules
2x500GB HDD's (1 is used for OS)
1x250GB HDD
650W Power Supply

There was another thread on this subject but it wasn't answered successfully and the last reply was 2 months ago so I thought I'd start a new one. I have 3 HDD's in my desktop computer but only one is used for an OS (the other 2 are just storage) and only ever 1 OS at a time, no multibooting for me. Back when the Windows 7 Beta came out I completely wiped the hard drive and installed the 64-bit beta on it. Since then, I have installed builds 7057, 7077, and 7100 (all 64-bit) on it using the Upgrade option and some times deleting the partition and formatting a new one and it has never started up using the Windows 7 boot screen, instead it always starts up using the old Vista boot screen. I have installed the same versions of Windows 7 on 2 other desktops and 2 other laptops in my household and all of them have a working Windows 7 boot screen. All but 1 laptop were installed using a clean install but the 1 laptop was upgraded. I have tried bcdboot and bceedit and have yet to find a solution that works. Here are the specs of the system that won't display the proper boot screen:

Windows 7 Build 7100 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3.0GHz
Sceptre 22" LCD Monitor @ 1680x1050 w/ DVI
2x nVidia 8800GT's in SLI
4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 memory modules
2x500GB HDD's (1 is used for OS)
1x250GB HDD
650W Power Supply
did you try putting the disk in and booting to that and using the repair console??? try selecting something on the lines of "startup problems" if all else fails you can backup your important files and give it a fresh install... it sounds to me like all it did was "upgrade" the features and not the core itself... my question to you is is it stable and working??? if so then "if it aint broke dont fix it"... nice build btw...

mine is...

windows xp professional x64 (primary os) windows 7 x64 (dual boot)
amd phenom quad core black edition 9850 2.5ghz
hanns-g 19" widescreen lcd display @ 1440x900 DVI
nvidia geforce gtx 260 core 216 overclocked edition
2x2gb transcend ddr2-800 2x1gb rendition ddr2-800
320gb hitachi internal hdd
250gb maxtor one touch 4 external hdd
ocz gamextream 700w power
hauppauge! wintv-hvr 1800 mce kit tv tuner
all wrapped up in a xoxide purity exe edition case

Last edited:
Try typing this is the command promt see if it helps.

bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US

Try typing this is the command promt see if it helps.

bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US

Yeah, I've actually tried that particular solution several times to no avail. Oddly enough, after setting up my laptop to dual-boot 7 and Ubuntu I lost the 7 boot screen on my laptop but that command fixed it. No luck on the desktop with the issue though.

@chif1988

Yep :-( Even tried moving the active partition to no avail. And yeah, it's stable but I'd REALLY like to get the boot screen working, and if I screw up the MBR in the process then I can fix it easily enough.

Yeah, I've actually tried that particular solution several times to no avail. Oddly enough, after setting up my laptop to dual-boot 7 and Ubuntu I lost the 7 boot screen on my laptop but that command fixed it. No luck on the desktop with the issue though.

Do you have the en-US folder in C:\Windows?

Try typing msconfig in the start menu and under the boot tab make sure no GUI boot is UNCHECKED

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Could also be a resolution problem, I read some where that Windows 7 will only show the new bootscreen if the monitor you're using is capable of 1024x768 or higher.

Last edited:
Back