Windows 10 Can't install KB3189866 or KB3193494??

Hi,

I just stumbled on this Forum so I thought I would try to get help for my problem.

I am utilizing an All-In-One HP Pavilion 23-g017c (x64) AMD A6-5200 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, running Windows 10, Version 1607, Build 14393.105, using the Edge Browser while utilizing Windows Firewall and Windows Defender as my major security programs.

About a week ago Windows Update showed I had a Cumulative Update for Windows 10, Version 1607 for x64-based Systems available to download and install. However, it failed at around 10%. After searching a few forums I discovered others having problems with this update and it was recommended they try a Manual Update via the Windows Catalog. I tried this too and got the same results .... a failed install.

About two days ago I discovered Microsoft put out a new update to replace the one failing for many. It was KB3193494. To make a long story short it failed in the same manner as its predecessor.

With these failures in mind I have two questions:

(1) Any ideas of what I might be able to do to successfully download this update?

(2) I have read that when these Windows updates fail that when Microsoft releases a new Cumulative Update the following month that it will replace the fixes found in the failed Update. Will this actually happen?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Hi Neemobeer,

Update failed at the link you supplied.

I am going to upload my update log as you requested and then I have to get some shuteye. I will check back in the morning. I appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Attachments

• WU.txt
    2.2 MB · Views: 374
Morning Neemobeer,

I have three drives .... one in the computer and two external hard drives that I use for backups with Acronis True Image. I use the Edge Browser and my wife uses Firefox to play some games on Facebook. Internet Explorer 11 is also installed but I have used Edge since it came with Windows 10 when I updated from 8.1 several months ago.

I tried the Update Troubleshooter again this morning but the Cumulative Update (KB3193494) still won't install. It fails at 10% same as before running the Troubleshooter.

For the record Windows Defender downloads and installs its updates successfully every day. And, I had never experienced any Windows Update problems prior to these two Cumulative updates (KB3189866 and KB3193494). When KB3189866 first failed to install on Sept. 12 I had five other updates install successfully

I appreciate you taking the time to try to get to the bottom of why this particular update won't install on my computer.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Last edited:
Hi,
It turns out that folks running the v1607 AU (Anniversary Update) which came out this Aug. 2nd (last month) usually don't have problems with the updates. I'm running five (5) W10 machines; 2 of them are on the v1607 AU version. However, there is a problem with the AU, and that is that only 1 person I know of anywhere has been able to successfully get an earlier version of W10 (v1511) released July 29 2015 updated to v1607 AU. This person is on this forum only recently. Everyone else who has attempted this has failed.:waah: The only way to get a working W10 computer to v1607 AU at this point in time, is by downloading a W10 ISO file from Microsoft site and using their MCT tool to create bootable install media on DVD or USB.

So, I'm not sure how you got to the v1607 AU Build 14393.105, but that is not quite the latest. There is a newer build of v1607 AU, and that is now 14393.187 from last week. In any case both my W10 machines (1 is a desktop PC, and the other is a laptop) with the v1607 B14393.187 on them were achieved by Clean Install method using the Microsoft MCT tool. This means that on a healthy, working W10 computer with v1607 AU on it, you should be able to achieve the update to the latest build.:encouragement: Microsoft has been only recently (the last 2 weeks or so) pushing out this latest September rollup update. However, it has similar problems to the first v1607 AU release on August 2nd. This time the update came into my laptop and completed; however it messed up like 15 keys on my keyboard and no repairs I could do could fix it.:waah: So I wiped it out and did the Clean Install via Microsoft install tool; it worked perfectly no problem. :up:

This most likely means that you have a different problem with your computer as referenced by Neemo above. The first thing you need to know and to do is TO DISCONNECT ALL SECONDARY INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES WHEN DOING ANY KIND OF WINDOWS OS LEVEL UPDATE!! There are multiple problems with letting your computer attempt Microsoft push updates when having any kind of secondary drives plugged into your computer. If there are any Index corruptions or physical failures that produce read sector errors, that will cause your W10 update to FAIL!! :down: This has been true for 20 years. The average person is not aware of this.

The next step you have is to determine if your existing W10 system is healthy or not exclusive of having those 2 external hard drives plugged in or not. If your computer is having a problem, then the new W10 update will fail no matter what. :hide: The fact that several of us here on WF have been able to get to the newest build of W10 (v1607 B14393.187) successfully means that it is possible for this update to install on a health W10 computer. This also means that yours needs repair. With all of this said, you can proceed to test your system with the troubleshooting link I am giving you shortly. You do need to understand that if you run our tests, and any of them fail you could be looking at a complete W10 reset or reinstall or replacing any faulty hardware found or nasty viruses infecting your system. There are already viruses that are now targeting W10 systems, and one of the first apps they are targeting for attack is the Windows Update (WU) app. If you have a virus infection, it could be the reason why your W10 update is continuing to fail.:waah:

After removing all your secondary drives, follow the instructions in this link to get your computer healthy again: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Once you complete these procedures, and remove all viruses found, windows registry corruption, and your hardware (RAM & Hard Drive) test Ok, make sure you have your WUDO settings in W10 set to maximum so your computer will allow the latest W10 update to come into your computer and run. Heré's a link on how to adjust your WUDO settings: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ.

Lastly, here's a warning you should be aware of about the dangers of leaving your external hard drives plugged into your computer all the time: Restore help needed. Please read my POST #4 on this thread about the dangers of leaving external drives plugged into your computer! :serious:

You have some reading to do.
Best of luck to you :encouragement: and let us know how it goes. Time for some coffee...:brew:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Hi BIGBEARJEDI,

WOW! Your right ... I do have a lot of reading to do ... lol I will try to tackle it this weekend and keep you informed.

But ... can you tell me why Windows Defender updates successfully each day and the Cumulative Update won't?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Hi,
Thanks, we'll be here! :D Windows Defender (WD, not to be confused with the hard drive company) is an application program that runs in the User Mode , and runs at a higher level in the Windows architecture hierarchy (that's a mouthful!:hee:), whereas the Windows Update (WU) is an application that is part of the OS and runs both in the Windows kernel mode, and makes multiple library calls to various application layers between the protected area of the kernel and the applications programs and libraries, and has the ability to ALTER the OS at the basic internal level. That even sounds confusing to me and I have been using Windows since 1985.o_O
Here's some deeper reading if you really are interested in learning what that means: Architecture of Windows NT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Windows defender doesn't really ALTER the OS kernel of Windows, as you can see from the diagram in the Wikipedia article I linked you to above; it has control over what data can flow in and out of the various areas to/from the User Mode, to/from the Protected Mode, and to/from the OS kernel mode. It sort of works like a traffic cop in an intersection where power has gone out and the street light is broken. It directs traffic inside of the different portions of windows, but it doesn't make the laws that Motorists must follow (the DMV makes the laws) and the traffic cop enforces those laws, he doesn't write them. This analogy worked with my students when teaching them how Windows internals works, hope that works for you.

Best,:)
<<<BBJ>>>

Back