Windows 7 Can't install Win 7 due to nvidia drivers!

Bjarkov

Hi guys!

I can see that it's a more or less common problem, that some nvidia driver won't install when running Windows 7.

Im currently tryin to solve the following problem on my cousins pc:
He want win 7, but when I tried to install it for him, it goes wrong.

What happens is that the install says that it makes the final configurations, and then it skips right to a black screen with a white blinking underscore. It never gets further than that. When restarting, win 7 install can't get done, because of some error.

I looked it up, and it all seems to have something to do with the default microsoft win 7 drivers for the nvidia graphics-card. The one win 7 installs simply don't work, and the entire win 7 installation cannot complete because of this.

They way to replace the drivers is to restart, press f8 to start in safe mode. When it's done, an error appears claiming that safe mode cannot be used. When this prompt appears, I can press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt. There I write compmgmt.msc to start the device manager. And there I can replace the driver with some working ones from nvidia.

My problem now is that I have downloaded alot of versions from nividia for the GeForce 9800 GX2 for win 7 64-bit. I run the setupfile, to extract the drivers to a usbdrive. I then access the usb drive to replace the driver, following the method described above. But windows 7 just keep claiming that no proper driver is located in the folder.

So now I have come down to this:
Either the nvidia driver is not uninstalled properly for manual install, when I just double-clicked the downloaded file, and transferred the content to the usb-drive.
OR I havent found the right driver yet.

Any suggestions? :)

Do earlier Windows versions install and work fine with this card? Is your bios the latest version?

Last edited:
My problem now is that I have downloaded alot of versions from nividia for the GeForce 9800 GX2 for win 7 64-bit. I run the setupfile, to extract the drivers to a usbdrive. I then access the usb drive to replace the driver, following the method described above.
Did you try to disable your vga device in safe mode, does Windows 7 boot with it disabled?

NVIDIA DRIVERS 257.21 WHQL

I would test this card on another pc, and I would also upgrade bios.

Last edited:
I first disabled the card in safe mode. With that not working (win 7 still wouldnt reconize the drivers), I tried to uninstall the cards. But when starting up in safe mode again, there were no difference.

Vista worked fine on the computer. But I havent tried to update the bios. The mb is a ASUS P5-E.

What is the full name of your 'ASUS P5-E' ?

Sorry, I wrote it wrong before. The mb is a ASUS P5E. The drivers, bios-updates etc. can be found on
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

Product: Motherboard
Socket: 775
Model: P5E

I looked through the other thread, and actually I remembered that Vista complained about the drivers aswell. I ment that the graphics just froze up ingame (if a game could be started at all). But I can't beleive something to be wrong with the card. It work absolutely fine during normal windows use, movies etc.

If you can get into device manager while trying to get into safe mode, have you selected to roll back the driver or uninstall it. Doing one of those might you back to a basic video driver which should at least allow you to boot into safe mode normally. If you can, maybe you would be able to load a Nvidia driver directly. You may not want to load the latest Nvidia drivers, but go back to something as early as the 190. version.

It does sound a little strange you cannot originally boot to Safe Mode, since not using that driver is how it is supposed to work. Maybe there is something wrong with the card. I do not know of a way to tell windows to use only one GPU, if that might be involved.

Last edited:
It does sound a little strange you cannot originally boot to Safe Mode, since not using that driver is how it is supposed to work. Maybe there is something wrong with the card. I do not know of a way to tell windows to use only one GPU, if that might be involved.

Hi Saltgrass,

I think the reason that it can't boot in safe mode, is that win 7 is not completely installed at that time (read my description above). Therefore a rollback is also not possible.

I want to be sure that im doing the manual install of nvidia driver correctly:
1: I download the driver file from nvidia.com, as a exe file. I use another computer for this.
2: I double-click the exe file, which start an extract to a folder, and then a setup for installing the drivers.
3: I abort the install, copy the extracted folder to a usb drive, and put the usb drive in the "problem-pc".
4: I start up in safe-mode untill the error comes, press SHIFT+F10 to open the device manager.
5: I try to get windows to find the new driver on the usb drive.

It have not worked, so I just want to be sure that the driver is actually located in that extracted folder. Do anyone know that?

Since I do not have a dual GPU type card, I cannot speak expressly to that, but I will do some research.

I had a GTX 260 during my initial install. Win 7 loaded a Microsoft WDDM 1.0 driver for the card and it worked fine. Later updates were provided to the exact card through the Windows Update process. I assume the same driver is loaded for your card.

When you open the Command window, instead of using devmgmt.msc, you might try msconfig.exe. It has, under the boot tab, a basic video selection. You might try selecting that and rebooting. I have been trying different things, but have not yet found a way to disable normal video during the install, but I cannot duplicate your situation.

What type of video connection do you have. If you are running two monitors, unplug one. If you are using an HDMI connection, try a DVI, or even a basic VGA is you are able.

You might try installing with another Video card and then changing it back. An Nvidia would be best, but an ATI might work.

Back