Windows 7 Can't load Win 7

zavier

Extraordinary Member
I had Windows 7 installed and operating perfectly for over a month but I accidentally deleted it. I have a Dell XPS 630i with 4Gig ram which I purchase less than 6 month ago. I have three hard drives. XP Pro is on disk 1, Vista is on disk 2 and I have Microsoft Server 2008 on disk 3 partition 1 and Win 7 on disk 3 partition 2. I wanted to remove MS server 2008 but I deleted Win 7. I used Gparted to delete the partition and then reformated the partition to NTFS.
My problem now is when I try to load Win 7 it stops and displays 0xc00000e9. That error usually means that a device was turn off or unplugged during the install. I only have a mouse and a keyboard connected but I still have the same error.

Any comments why I can't load Win 7 anymore ??
Thanks

Any suggestions ??

Thats strange, because I also had to reload Windows 7. I reformatted by going to the command prompt and simply did format c:

This solved my error message and I successfully was able to re-install.

How did you format the partition?

Thanks for replying. You said..."I reformatted by going to the command prompt and simply did format c:" I personally don't do that. In the old days I used Partition Magic and now with Vista I only use Gparted. I am familiar with it and I fell comfortable using it. I forgot to mention, before I deleted Win 7 I used EasyBCD to remove boot from Win 7. Now I dual boot one XP and Vista. So again, I used Gparted to delete the partition and then reformated the partition to NTFS again with Gparted version 0.3.4-11. I did one more test. I also have here a Dell Inspiron 531. I tried to install Win 7 in it with the same CD. Again the exact same result...stop error 0xc00000e9. I was coming to the conclusion that since Win 7 beta it only allowed 1 install per CD. Problem I have is that I deleted my original ISO file so I can't burn another CD. BTW, the physical appearance of the CD is clean and no scratches

Although you stated you prefer GParted, what would be the harm in trying my suggestion?

And Windows 7 can be installed multiple times as I have done in the past, making a comparison between Vista and Windows7.

I kept tapping the F8 key (although this may be different for other manufacturer's computers) and came to the screen which show the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. I chose the first option which is Repair your system, and then choose the Command Prompt option and typed in format c:

Note, you'll need to select the correct partition where Windows 7 was installed.

Also, you could go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools, and choose Computer Management and see what the partitioning scheme looks like.

Ok...This is simple so let's try this suggestion first and then (when I have more time we will try format via command prompt) You said..."Also, you could go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools, and choose Computer Management and see what the partitioning scheme looks like." I wish I could copy/paste this page...Anyway we might be up to some thing... Keep in mind that I have 3 disk. Disk0 XP, Disk1 Vista, Disk3 for general use. On disk 3, I have one partition (label H) for Norton Ghost files, another partition (label I) were I had Windows server 2008 (it's now empty) and then there is a third partition (no label) were Win 7 used to be. All partitions on disk 3 show primary partition, NTFS formatting, and healthy. Now partition ??? (not label) is were Win 7 used to be. Should we give it a letter ??

I would say yes, but when you did the re-format, didn't it ask or automatically give it a drive letter?

If you assign it a drive letter, it should appear in Explorer. See if you can copy a file to that partition.

I'm no expert at multi-booting haven't done it in a while as I now have removable drive bays.

Ok.. Before I give it a letter I have to tell you there is data in that partition..... In Computer Management I right click and went to properties. There is 9.74 Ggs of data. I reformatted that partition a couple of days ago and I thought all the data was erased...but I don't know I presently can't see this partition in Explorer but I believe the data is that partition is corrupted. It would probably be better to format that partition than to give it a name What do you think ??

Yes, that would be a good idea as apparently the format did not work correctly.

Do you have a recovery partition on our PC?

Make sure you are formatting the correct partition.

Reghakr: While in Vista on the Computer Management window I right click on Disk 3 the no label partition and formatted it. Then gave it a letter which is now "J". Now I can see "J" in Explorer...great. Now I loaded the Win 7 CD, rebooted and started to load the program. As before, no more that 1 minute into the install it stops...error message 0xc00000e9. I thought I had it

zavier,

I'm off to school so I would be able to post back under after 3:00 EST

My problem now is when I try to load Win 7 it stops and displays 0xc00000e9. That error usually means that a device was turn off or unplugged during the install. I only have a mouse and a keyboard connected but I still have the same error.

This is the exact error message I received and once I did as suggested in my post, it began the install successfully.

Like I stated, I'm no dual or triple-boot expert.

Let's start from the beginning and tell me which operating system was installed first and then the other OS's in what particular order.

You're saying you can't boot into server 2003 either, right?. If so, you probably wiped that partition also.

Your re-install of Windows 7 is probably looking for the C: drive

You can attach a screen shot by looking below your post and choose Manage Attachments. So open up Disk Management, make that the active screen and press the Alt + PrtScrn key and upload it in your post

Thanks for replying. Let me answer one paragraph/sentence at a time.

"This is the exact error message I received and once I did as suggested in my post, it began the install successfully."
I would not want to format c: as you suggested. Win 7 was in disk 3 partition 2 (now label "J") and was formatted as you suggested.

"Let's start from the beginning and tell me which operating system was installed first and then the other OS's in what particular order."
When I got this new computer (Sept 08) XP Pro was factory loaded. Computer is a Dell XPS 630i with 4 gigs of RAM. Computer came with 2 Hard drives. I also received Vista software from Dell. Dell support help me install Vista in second hard drive. Then I had XP and Vista with dual boot. On Dec 08 I purchased and install a third hard drive. This was in anticipation of the Windows 7 beta release. Sometime in January I installed Windows 7 in hard drive 3. Triple boot XP, Vista, and Win 7 were all running perfect. I also downloaded a trial version of Windows server 2008 just to see how it works. Win server 2008 was install and now I had 4 OS running with quadruple boot. Everything was working fine. Then I read about Virtual machine. So I downloaded Virtual box to see how it worked. But I had to delete Win 7 or Win server 08 to run it in virtual box. Could not get any virtual terminal to run. So now I decided to re install Win 7 in partition "J" like I did before. But no luck

My take is that CD is damaged. It's not obvious because it's looks physically perfect. I deleted the Win 7 ISO so I can't burn another CD. What I need is another copy of win 7 ISO which is not available anymore.

When you get to the command prompt window, you'll notice the drive letter has changed. mine turned to X:\windows\system32.

Since you have so many hard drives and partition, you'll have to do a dir /p to determine which one the Windows 7 partition is on.

In my case, the Windows partition changed from C: to D:, so that's what I had to format....the D: partition
format D:, then type in the Volume label.

I'm hoping some other Windows 7 Forum experts would jump in as they know more than I do as to Virtual PC and triple-booting.

I am presently re-formatting mine to install the newer build.

Win 7 is gone....Its' not on C: or D: or anywhere. It WAS on disk 3, second partititon.
I think now everything in my PC is correct. Win 7 still does not install so it's a bad CD.

I need another copy of the ISO to burn another CD

In the meantime, I will wait for Win 7 final release and buy it. I liked Window 7. It worked very well.

Thanks for your help

moz-screenshot-3.jpg

When you use the upload an image file, there's no need to put any tags around it. the upload feature will do that automatically.

Under additional option directly below you post it says Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif iso jpe jpeg jpg nfo pdf png psd rar txt zip

Right under that is the Manage Attachments button, click on that button and browse to the location of the file on your computer.

After you take a snapshot of Disk Management, open Paint and choose Edit > Paste from the menu and save it to your desktop.

sounds like your MBR / Boot sector on sector 0 is corrrupted.

best way to fix this is to boot into Windows XP from a Windows XP install CD.
Then use the recovery console and type FIXMBR.

Now also get rid of a possible small partition that was created when using a boot mgr -- what's happened here is that the partition you are trying to boot from is no longer an ACTIVE partition. When you do say FORMAT C: it only formats a C partition not the whole disk so if there's other hidden partitions they won't be touched. Also a format doesn'tt re-set a partition as active.

most boot managers set the OS you want to boot from as the Active partition before doing the boot. (Linux works a bit differently as the boot loader can also load the OS bootstrap from a Logical partition but that's another issue).

Another solution would be to use a Windows install Disk (W7 is fine also) to DELETE and re-format all the partitions again and the re-0install your OSes

That's why I like ACRONIS -- as a backup as well as DATA and Disk images there's also an option to backup and restore the MBR.

www.acronis.com

cheers
jimbo

Thanks for replying Jimbo45.
I am not sure I agree with your statement that I need to fix MBR...Vista OC is on the C: drive and that is were the boot loader is located.

Info on C: were Vista is ... Healthy, (Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary Partition) NTFS
Info on D: were XP is ... Healthy, (System, Active, Primary Partition) NTFS

You said--"what's happened here is that the partition you are trying to boot from is no longer an ACTIVE partition" Well let me give you some background. When I turn on the computer one the first few windows that open I get a choice to load XP or Vista. If I choose Vista then Vista will load. If I choose XP then XP will load. It's a dual boot configuration and it works great.

Again, Win 7 is gone"...erased, no were to be found.
So what I am trying to do now is no different than what I did back on January 2009. I have a CD with Windows 7 that I downloaded from Microsoft. I insert the CD in the tray and restart the computer. I boot from CD and it starts to load from the CD. It starts to load (I can see bar at bottom moving) but in less than a minute it stops and displays error 0xc00000e9.

My take is that CD is bad. It's only been used ones and it's NOT scratch so it's difficult to believe it's the CD.
I would like to get another copy of the ISO from Microsoft but it's no longer available...BTW, I am not going to any torrent sites to download it.

I am willing to hear what you have to say now. Have not tried Acronis

Back
Top Bottom