Windows 8 Can't open Comcast home page in Internet Explorer 10? And malware issue?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This it weird!

I can't open my Comcast Home Page in IE?

When I try I get a message saying that...
"A problem with Comcast web page forced Internet Explorer to refresh in compatibility view".

If I persist Internet Explorer crashes.

I'm not seeing this with any other web page.

I can open it in Google Chrome with no problem at all?

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this.

I'm also getting a search bar called funmoods search bar.

I don't know where I got this but I've been downloading tons of things setting up my computer.

When I run Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware they say that they remove it, but when I open a browser it's still there.

I've disabled it in both IE and Chrome but it still shows up.
I can't seem to get rid of it.

Any ideas about either of these?

Ah the joys of setting up a new computer.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start by booting to safe mode then run MalwareBytes Antimalware

You can also look in the add-ons section of IE to see if the Toolbar is listed, and check in Programs and Features to see if the Toolbar is able to be uninstalled.

I would suspect that one of the downloads had a piggy backed app that had to be opted out of. That's the problem with many of these free apps.

When I'm installing a new OS, I make it a point to create intermediate Images so that if something unexpected happens I can get back to where I started easier. Foe example, when I installed Win 8 Pro I made a total of 3 Images. The first after Win 8 was installed and customized fully. The second was after I installed my apps, and the third was a final gold standard after the final addition of Office 2010.

Hi

I got rid of the Funmoods search bar thing.
I ran both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware several times, at first it would come back but I think it is gone for good now. At least it didn't show up this morning and I ran both programs again.

I uninstalled Internet Explorer but now when I click on a ling instead of taking me to Chrome, I get a window that says no app available to open this type of file and when I look it shows the Chrome app.

That's what I'm trying to avoid, I just want it to open Chrome from the desktop and not IE.

Mike

Ok:

I have both Chrome and IE running from the desktop and not in app mode.
IE will still not open my Comcast Home Page, but Chrome is working normally.

I have seen several other pages that give me a Internet Explorer had to use compatibility mode.
I've never seen this before.

Anyone know what that's all about?

It appears to be why my Home page won't open in IE.

Mike

Any idea where the funmoods search bar came from? It's really annoying how they hide those nasty things in so much software. Could it be in something from the Apps Store?
Joe

Hi Joe

No, I don't know where I got it, but I've been downloading dozens of things while setting up my new computer.
I probably didn't watch close enough and it came along with something else I installed.

It was a bear to get rid of, I remove it several times and rebooted but it kept coming back.
It was flagged as Malware by all my security software.

I think it gone for good, at least it hasn't shown up today.

I don't think that the Comcast thing has anything to do with malware, it's just something that IE is doing for some unknown reason.

Both IE and Chrome seem to be working in desktop mode now, and I made Chrome my default browser without it switching to the app. But I still can't open my Comcast home page in IE.

I'm having problems with the Windows 8 firewall, no matter what I do it won't let me turn it on.

I installed ZoneAlarm and it's working fine, I used it for years at one time, and it seems to be more effective then the Windows one anyway.

Mike

Have a look here: Remove FunMoods, removal instructions It looks like an eastern european spy gadget which redirects. It could be the reason for your prob with Comcast, Mike. I just had a look at the Comcast page and see a heap of adverts. Perhaps you could try tweaking your security and privacy options? I also have my "Protected mode" turned off - I tend to take care of my security through other means. On your other problem. Have you tried turning on the Firewall service.

Hi Davehc

I will check it out, I think I got rid of it but I'm not sure it's gone for good.
I used Malwarebytes several times, plus SuperAntiSpyware.

I'm still having the Comcast issue in IE but it works fins in Chrome

Mike

Back