Windows 7 Can't rename, delete or move folder or file

NickyBromow

Since 2 days, in a certain folder, I cant rename, move or delete folders or files. Now, it has spread to my desktop as well. If I rename a folder, even a new folder, the name changes ''magically'' within seconds to restore to its previous name. If I move the folder or file, it comes back and if I delete it, it restores. I tried to make a system restore, even format (!), the problem persists. I use this folder to tag and rename my new mp3s so I have to be able to 1) rename, 2) move the folders the files and folders in it.

Last edited:
Hi Nicky and welcome to the forums.
Sounds very strange indeed. Can you advise if you have any software running in the background that may be responsible for keeping this folder and or it's parent folder sync'd to another location. Something like GoodSync or SyncToys. When you delete a file from this directory you say it is restored, is it actually restored from the recycle bin or just magically reappears, have you tried deleting and then empty recycle bin, does it still "restore".
Is this problem unique to your profile, can you logon as a different user and see if the problem is still present, or can you logon in safemode and see if the problem is still present.

Back