Windows 7 Can't share HP PSC 1510 printer using Windows 7-64

donbailey

I have a desktop and a laptop computer. I have W7 installed on the desktop and used to have WinXP Pro on the laptop. I was able to share the 1510 (which is connected via USB to the desktop) using the laptop over wireless connection. I just installed W7 onto the laptop and now I get an error message when trying to add the printer to the laptop. The error message I get is:
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. some driver files are missing or incorrect. Reinstall the driver or try using the latest version."

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Here is the link to the drivers that I installed. I believe it is the latest version. I also turned off Avast, Win Defender, & win firewall on both computers, but it did not help. One other thing: I am able to share files using either Homegroup or the old fashioned way - using the network connection. I hope there is a fix for this. Any ideas?
Forgot to mention-both Win7 computers are 64 bit. The XP Pro was 32 bit.

That's the full blown driver for host based printers so maybe if you try this..open devices and printer, click add printer at top...click add local printer, click the radio button to create a new port....make sure local port is selected, click next and in the port name dialog box enter \\computername\sharename (something like \\johnsmith-pc\hpdj (that's the actual Win7 machine that the printer is attached to and the share name of the printer) click ok and then next choose have disk and point it at that driver (make sure that you've extracted it) should work....let us know

Thanks Trouble. I got it to work, but it took a variation of what you suggested. I went to local port and typed in the address, then clicked on have disk, but when I pointed it to the extracted files, I got a similar error message: something about it may not have the proper 64 bit driver. I then started over, but instead of pointing it to the extracted drivers, I pointed it to C:\Windows\INF. Apparently there was a driver located there that worked. Thanks again.

Is it possible to make this work with a HP PSC 1300 printer? I do not see any driver listed for this printer. I tried the 1500 driver; a file got sent to the xp server but wouldn't print.
TIA, Mike

Probably will, have you got the printer installed on the Windows 7 machine, is it showing up in the "Devices and Printers" Console? Is it hosted by an XP machine as in the OPs situation? If so right click it and choose "printer properties", select the "advanced tab" at the top, then click the "new driver" button the "NEXT" then in the left column select "HP" then in the right column scroll down near the bottom where the "hp psc" printers start and select the "hp psc 1300 series" driver.
I beleive that Windows 7 has built in native driver support for this printer (at least on my 64bit ultimate install it does, see attachment) so see if that works, if not, you may have to resort to physically connecting the printer to the Windows 7 machine and double check the Windows Update Utility to get it to work properly when physically attached, then you can hook it back to the XP machine and use the method above and when prompted just choose to "keep existing driver".
Good luck, keep us posted.

See comments embedded below prefaced with *****

Probably will, have you got the printer installed on the Windows 7 machine, is it showing up in the "Devices and Printers" Console? Is it hosted by an XP machine as in the OPs situation? If so right click it and choose "printer properties", select the "advanced tab" at the top, then click the "new driver" button the "NEXT" then in the left column select "HP" then in the right column scroll down near the bottom where the "hp psc" printers start and select the "hp psc 1300 series" driver.

*******Ok but no joy as that driver is not listed

I beleive that Windows 7 has built in native driver support for this printer (at least on my 64bit ultimate install it does, see attachment) so see if that works, if not, you may have to resort to physically connecting the printer to the Windows 7 machine and double check the Windows Update Utility to get it to work properly when physically attached,

********Ok, did that, during immediately after I plugged in the usb cable it looked like a bunch of psc drivers were installed.

********I then looked at the printer and it was in trouble mode, trouble shoot resulted in no driver and then obtained a driver for windows update. The usb connected printer now worked on the laptop.

*********However when I go in and try 'new driver' on the network printer although psc 1300 is listed, it is not available. I'm trying to go through the windows update gain for this but it seems to taking an inordinate length of time to populate the list. Will get back to you later.

then you can hook it back to the XP machine and use the method above and when prompted just choose to "keep existing driver".
Good luck, keep us posted.

IT WORKED!!!!

Ok, it's now working but there one very strange thing! If I look at printer properties for the network printer, I get a warning box with the text...

The 'hp psc 1300 series' printer driver is
not installed on this computer. Some
printer properties will not be accessible
unless you install the printer driver. Do
you want to install the driver now.

FYI, I've been going round and round with HP the all-in-one folks today. They claim that this won't work. HP has been getting a lot of bad press about this.

Well, I thought I had this working but ran into some problems. The printer kept disappearing from the XP machine. Not sure what caused this but could have been loss of the spooler and/or exporting local machine printers when doing remote login from the Win 7 system to the xp machine where the printer is hosted. Anyway I restarted the spooler ('net start spooler' from command line on XP system) and modified the remote login option not to export printers (see local resource tab under options). Seems ok for moment but time will tell.

MikeNMI:
Thanks for keeping us informed as to your progress by updating your thread. Much appreciated.

And a few more nits to add to the confusion.

1) Mozilla evidently does not use the windows default printer, rather it starts with the last printer used.
2) XP does not show the 'Set as default printer' switch when one right clicks on the printer in the Printers and Faxes pane. Evidently, the lack of this option means it is the default printer. If one double clicks on the default printer the 'set as default printer' does show up under the printer tab in the resulting pane.

The model number HP PSC 1510.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Method 2:[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.
Link Removed due to 404 Error[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Back