Windows 7 Can't Shut Down

charlie

I installed W7 over Vista Home Premium, the upgrade went flawlessly and took about 3 hours on my laptop.
However, I have a couple of annoyances, one I can't shut down the computer without holding down the on/off button. The shutdown menu option doesn't do anything. I also keep getting an error message saying I'm out of memory and I get the blue screen and reboot every once in awhile without any apparent cause or reason...
Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm not a real computer whiz so keep it simple...thanks!!!!!

Icky....I do get an 'out of memory' error at start up....but I still have at least 2gigs of memory so just assumed it was a bug error......I'm a novice so your help is appreciated......

Memory "shouldn't" be an issue. I have 3 gigs of RAM on my machine and have had no issues with a memory error. What build of 7 are you using? What about your other specs? Do you know how to check how much virtual memory you have allocated? If not, I'd check that and make the size... bigger lol.

Start>Right Click "Computer"> Properties> On the left, Advance System Properties> First choice (performance) hit the settings button, then the advance tab. On the bottom you'll see your virtual memory. I have a little over 3 gigs allocated, which is the default for my HDD size I imagine.

In any case. Let me know what that says, it may help, it may not, but worth a shot :)

I did the computer properties thing and got this error message......I get this same message on several programs I try to access, mostly windows programs....damn, can't get it to cut and paste, its sort of long if I can have your email addy I'll send it that way?

[email protected]
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

Ahhh, if you're getting error messages that's not good at all. You said you upgraded from vista right? Have you tried a clean install? I sent you my email addy in a private message. I'll take a look at the error and see if I see anything.

sounds like multiple error messages at a fundamental level :(

I reckon try a fresh install might be the shortest route to resolve :cool:

When I try to use the DVD drive, I get a path error and it won't open. So I'm not able to boot to the DVD drive or open the W7 dvd for a fresh install......any ideas on how to work around that???

When I try to use the DVD drive, I get a path error and it won't open. So I'm not able to boot to the DVD drive or open the W7 dvd for a fresh install......any ideas on how to work around that???

do your fresh install from boot outside of any operating system ;)

In other words make sure "boot from CD" is set in your BIOS then simply reeboot your computer press any key to boot from CD if prompted then follow the menus to format the drive and start over with a fresh install :)

N.B. you will lose all information from your previous install !

Back