Windows 7 Can't start a bunch of adobe programs! Help!

slamscape

I upgraded to windows 7 from vista home premium. And now Adobe illustrator, flash, and photoshop refuse to start up. I just click on their startup icon and nothing happens. I have deleted the programs and reinstalled them to no change at all.

Are you trying to start from the Shortcut Icons on the desktop or from the listing under 'Programs'? If both fail, look for the .exe files in the Adobe entries under Programs. Right click and 'run as Administrator'. If that opens them, you may need to create new shortcuts on your desktop.

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts as you're experiencing.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

Try looking to Adobe for updates for those programs.

If there is any to clear the "open previous files" option, you might try that. Maybe something is corrupted.

Just and FYI, all Adobe CS4-related products work flawlessly on both x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7. As a matter of fact, Photoshop 10 (part of the CS3 world) works on my Win7 x64 machine as well.

Indeed, at the moment there is no 64-bit flash support for 64-bit browsers (those use 32-bit flash), however, this does not relate to 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit operating system.

Also. it is rather difficult to offer concrete suggestions not knowing which versions of the programs the OP refers to.

Either way, if you're re-installing programs, it would be preferable to clean out the registry first (CCleaner or such) and then when installing, do so with administrator privileges (right-click on the installation EXE and choose the administrator option).

Cheers

Back