I don't think the net framework had much to do with your problem, Mike. Did you try the GPEdit suggestion before you went into the services?.
Anyway, Open, in services, the Log On tab again. Untick "Local System Account" , and click on"This Account". This should now come up with a row of asterixes in both Password and Confirm password. If not, put in your OS password in both instances. Then try and restart the Firewall.
Do the Restore when you can, Mike. Also, you can ring Microsoft @ that # I gave you. Be good when you get this resolved cus as you see would be better than using 3rd Party items. And, yes, you will have to disable Comodo.
This is what worked for me. I am not 100% certain which individual tweak it was - or it may have been a combination? A heck of a lot of rebooting required!
My installed Antivirus for the test was Avast. Installed and, surely enough, The Firewall was disabled.
1. Uninstalled AVG - no result.
2. Tried the Gpedit trick - didn't work
3. Tried restarting from the services - didn't work. It started and stopped again.
4. Did a search on the registry and deleted every entry of Avast. Oh my! what a dirty uninstall that had been. - didn't work
5. As a default, on a new installation, I always disable the "Security Centre" service. Re-enabled - didn't work
6. All the above required rebooting. So by then I was a bit short of ideas.
7. Then, I thought, how about basics. Control Panel - Action Centre (All of which features I normally have turned off) - There was a message "Windows Firewall is turned off or not set up correctly. Turn on Now. I did so and the Firewall was active again. Turned off the security centre service again and the Firewall stayed active. Problem solved.
I never liked Windows firewalls anyway. In XP mine constantly turned back on and messed up my network connections. Most likely Windows Update was the cause. I've used Comodo free for a long time and had good luck. It's frustrating to have a problem and fix it and not be sure what you did.