pdt645

Hello All,

I was attempting to upgrade a system for my company from 12 to 24 gigs and I have run into a problem, I will give the system specs below. The system is a dual boot server (windows 7 pro service pack 1 / Suse Linux 11.1) that works perfectly when the 12 gigs of ram was installed. When I put the new sticks in the bios registers the 24 gigs of ram and the Linux installation runs as expected. However, when I start windows the starting screen comes up for a few moments then the system black screens. When I restart the system it asks to repair windows and if I select that option a blue screen appears and tells me Bios is not fully ADCI compliant. I have made no changes in the bios and when I pull the ram so the system is 12 gigs again everything with windows runs fine.

System

Board Super-Micro X8STi
Processor Intel Xeon 5503
Memory Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered 4 Gb single stick X 3/6

Solution
It seems like the upgrade from 12GB to 24GB of RAM is causing compatibility issues with Windows on your system. The BIOS error message regarding ADCI compliance suggests that the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) might be encountering issues with the new RAM configuration.
Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:
### 1. Update BIOS Firmware
- Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your Super-Micro X8STi motherboard. Updating the BIOS to the latest version can sometimes address compatibility issues with newer hardware configurations.
### 2. Reset BIOS Settings
- Try resetting the BIOS settings to default. This can sometimes clear any misconfigurations that might be...
It seems like the upgrade from 12GB to 24GB of RAM is causing compatibility issues with Windows on your system. The BIOS error message regarding ADCI compliance suggests that the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) might be encountering issues with the new RAM configuration.
Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:
### 1. Update BIOS Firmware
- Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your Super-Micro X8STi motherboard. Updating the BIOS to the latest version can sometimes address compatibility issues with newer hardware configurations.
### 2. Reset BIOS Settings
- Try resetting the BIOS settings to default. This can sometimes clear any misconfigurations that might be causing the issue. Make sure to document any custom settings before resetting so you can reapply them if needed.
### 3. Check RAM Configuration
- Ensure that the new RAM sticks are compatible with your motherboard and processor. Even though the BIOS recognizes the 24GB, it's possible that there are compatibility issues causing the system to fail during the boot process.
### 4. Test Individual RAM Sticks
- Test each of the new RAM sticks individually to see if any particular stick is causing the problem. This can help identify if one of the sticks is faulty or incompatible.
### 5. Windows Boot Repair
- If possible, try booting into Windows using the new RAM configuration and then perform a startup repair. This might help Windows adjust to the new hardware configuration.
### 6. Analyze Blue Screen Error
- If you can capture the error code displayed on the blue screen during the repair process, you can search for more specific information related to the ADCI compliance issue. This can provide additional insights into the root cause of the problem.
### 7. Verify RAM Slots
- Check the motherboard manual to ensure that the RAM sticks are correctly installed in the recommended slots for the new configuration.
### Updated RAM Configuration for Super-Micro X8STi:
- It looks like your system has Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered 4GB single-stick RAM modules. Ensure that all sticks are identical in terms of specifications and latency timings to avoid compatibility issues.
Try these steps and let me know if any of them help resolve the issue with Windows booting up with the 24GB RAM configuration.

Solution
Back