Windows 7 Can't validate my Windows 7 Ultimate

jonathanc

Long story short, I've bought a used laptop over eBay that comes pre-installed with W7 Ultimate. Been using it for 2-3 months without any problems. Today I tried to install something and I was asked to validate Windows.

I then found out my copy isn't genuine! So I paid around £160 for the Windows 7 Get Genuine Online Kit. I got my key and tried to follow the instructions but I can't find the "change product key" option.

So I did some Googling and then tried to use the "slmgr" solution. I can't find the files in SYSTEM32 (it was renamed to slmgr.vbs.disabled). I can't modify any files but I managed to copy the Vista32 version over. I ran slmgr -ipk <new key> and then -ati and rebooted but it still says my copy is not genuine! However at this point I can see the "Change product key" option. It's just nothing happens after I press the link!

I am out of ideas now and obviously I can't do any repair installs w/o any dvd and I don't think one will be sent out to me?

Can any please help me...seems that I've paid 160 quid for nothing! :( I would also prefer not to do a full reinstall as I've installed a lot of programs on Windows and also all my program settings/configs will be lost! :(

The Person you bought the Computer from has cracked the Windows activation software that checks windows validation.

Have you attempted a system restore to a time before you got the laptop, or perhaps there are no restore points for that time.
If that is the case then you will need a Windows 7 install disc to repair your system. r you can get a recovery dvd iso from here
Once you have the system repaired you should be able to change you serial and activate windows.

Hope this helps

usually all you need to do is right-click Computer/Properties scroll down and there is the link to change the key and there is another place, when it tells you not genuine, follow the not-genuine link and there is somewhere the option to change key as well.

Thanks! I am downloading the iso now and will attempt a repair. Hopefully will get this fixed.

I've already used the "slmgr -ipx" method with the new key but that didn't seem to help. I rechecked the key used "slmrg -vli" and it does show the new key being loaded (Partial Key).

I hope I can still used the key...

You may end up having to do a repair install, which is where you basically do an upgrade of the installed system. This will replace the Windows files and hopefully fix you situation.

If you can, you might want to do a clean install and get rid of the prior OS entirely.

usually all you need to do is right-click Computer/Properties scroll down and there is the link to change the key and there is another place, when it tells you not genuine, follow the not-genuine link and there is somewhere the option to change key as well.

Hi, I did try this immediately after purchasing the new key from Microsoft. However I can't even see the option to change key!

I had to copy a version of slmgr.vbs so I could run the script from an admin command prompt. I can see the option now but nothing happens when I click it.

You may end up having to do a repair install, which is where you basically do an upgrade of the installed system. This will replace the Windows files and hopefully fix you situation.

If you can, you might want to do a clean install and get rid of the prior OS entirely.

I sincerely hope a repair install is adequate. I've had this laptop for some time and I've installed a lot of my programs on it. I use it for work so it is pretty important. It will take a long time to setup the laptop the way I want it if I went for a clean install (updating programs, downloading drivers, settings etc etc).

/fingers crossed!

Right, I've downloaded the ISO linked earlier. I don't see an option for repair install... There's an option to fix startup problems (which I've tried and have none), Restore point (which is pointless...) and restore from Image (which is also pointless).

Isn't there something that can fix the corrupted files aka the System32 directory?

:(

I've emailed [email protected] to ask if they will send me a physical DVD for the repair install. Or else I guess I will just request a refund and go out to the store and get myself a genuine copy...oh the pain!!!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, was studying for an exam.

The iso must be burned to a disc and then you must boot your laptop from it.
You might have to set the boot options for you laptop to boot from the cd drive first.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, was studying for an exam.

The iso must be burned to a disc and then you must boot your laptop from it.
You might have to set the boot options for you laptop to boot from the cd drive first.

Hi,

No problems :) I burned the ISO and also had it boot it no problems. However, the options available didn't actually helped me. There's a boot repair option which I tried and it said can't find any faults with bootup. The other two options are restore point and restore from image, which both I can't use since I don't have restore points or image and even if I do it will still be the cracked windows?

Shucks. I was sure you could repair system files from the disc.
I'm afraid it will boil down to a clean install.

Hmmm, if you have already bought a license try and get install media and try a repair install i suppose

You could use a disc that friend used if you know anyone. You might be able to get an iso or disc from Microsoft if you contact them and explain your situation.

Back