Windows 7 ccleaner stopped working?

kmo

I lost ccleaner, when in the process of wiping cache it stops and says ("ccleaner has stopped working") ("a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if there is a solution.") is the message I get when trying to wipe cache. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling ccleaner but same thing happens. Any suggestions? I'm running windows 7 ....:confused:

uninstall it, if its jsut the temp files etc you want to remove then you can always run the disk clean utility that comes with windows

For a full commercial solution to clean the registry, the website does endorse Uniblue RegistryBooster. For an entire repair and diagnostic suite, including optimization and disk clean up, investigate BoostSpeed 5.1. I must repeat that you cannot necessarily rely on non-commercial software to resolve issues that exist in a highly commercial operating system.

You may try and see if running CCleaner in Safe Mode (F8 on Start Up) resolves the issue, but if you are already experiencing problems, the issues you are having may dig deep into the system. The inability to delete simple files may be a sign of disk error, which can be detected in a number of ways, but I know of no sure fire way of optimizing your system quickly and efficiently than using one of these commercial utilities.

However, when this does not work, there are manual workarounds, including doing a chkdsk, defragmenting the hard drive, cleaning out temp files manually etc. This is the work a technician does without the above mentioned utilities on hand, and that is why these software utilities were put together. So you don't have to go to the store and pay a halfwit hundreds of dollars to fix a few problems on the computer.

I am sorry to say that this is the case, but it is the truth in motion.

just to add to mikes greate post i tried this program as a trial... its great! i no people promote programs etc and say " wow this is agreat program you must get it" then when u you do , its pants.... well.. this BoostSpeed 5.1 really is a good program. its got all the defrag utulities, and you get a good 30 day trial and then can buy it after.

If you want to look after your pc in 1 program. BUY THIS. trust the experts

MIKE AND WINDOWS7FORUMS :)

Actually.........
You can do a pretty good job of cleaning the junk files out of your own computer, using what MS gave you for FREE.

MS programmers, in their infinite wisdom, gave us a great little junk-file remover in the form of "Disk Cleanup".
Probably less than 1% of Windows users even know it's there, but it has been for a very long time.

They also gave us the ability to run "Disk Cleanup" in an 'Extended' manner.
Here's a little shortcut you can put on your desktop, to run "Disk Cleanup" any time you want, in the
extended mode.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Just copy and past the blue line into a Desktop Shortcut and you've got it!

The first time you run it, you will need to put a check in the little box to the left of each type of junk
that you want it to remove. I generally check everything but "Setup.log" files and "Office Setup files".*
*Those may be needed someday when you want to uninstall something, so leave those in place.

If there is a box that says "Compress old files", DO NOT check that box.

Extended Disk Cleanup works just as well on Windows 7/64 as it did on XP Pro/32.

On my own PC, I spent the better part of a day, going through my entire hard drive and locating all the folders where Windows and my Applications, store their .tmp files, .bak files, temporary internet files, etc.
then I put each one of those paths into a batch file that will delete the contents of every one of those folders.

Here is just a little sample from my W7Cleanup.bat program.

@Echo off
cls
del /F /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

Using this as a sample, you can write your own cleanup batch file to empty junk folders all through your own hard drive.
My finished batch file is almost forty lines long.
Since I run it from my Startup folder, DAILY, the junk never has a chance to build up in my hard drive.
A clean machine is a Happy Machine!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, lots of good info. Appreciate it....I got it working by uninstalling it then went back to an earlier download of ccleaner, installed and then updated to the latest version. That seemed to do the trick for now. I think I might have had an initial problem with the ccleaner update installation because right after that is when it stopped working....thanks again.

I lost ccleaner, when in the process of wiping cache it stops and says ("ccleaner has stopped working") ("a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if there is a solution.") is the message I get when trying to wipe cache. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling ccleaner but same thing happens. Any suggestions? I'm running windows 7 ....:confused:

Within the last week I've gotten the same problem. After a lot of process of elimination it seem the problem, in my case, is in the Firefox file: places.sqlite. When I replace that file with an older file, several months old, ccleaner works fine. Something about a bookmark that seems to cause ccleaner to stop working.

My system, Windows 7 Home, developed the same problem several days ago. After many hours and a lot of process of elimination it seems the problem, in my case, is in the Firefox file: places.sqlite. When I replace that file with an older file, several months old, ccleaner works fine. Also, if I remove this file ccleasner works fine. Something about a bookmark that seems to cause ccleaner to stop working. Earlier versions of Firefox and Ccleaner didn’t make any difference - same problem.

Back