Ccleaner update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad it is working but I think you are a bit hasting in blaming Windows Update. I see no reports of Windows Update breaking anybody else's WordPad.

Nothing hasty about blaming a fault on Windows 10 updates !!
Well, sadly, it is done way too often. Some folks just refuse to accept that any thing else might be wrong with their computers and are all too eager to blame Microsoft and Windows Update. But, if they just gave it a few seconds thought, they would realize if it was a Windows Update, it most likely would be affecting many 1000s or even millions of users.
though, admittedly, some were a little old.
Some were a little old? LOL And of those, how many were caused by WU? I Googled wordpad slow to open and found 1 more or less recent hit in the first 3 pages of results and it, from over a year a ago was not about WordPad itself taking a long time to open. But opening a WordPad file that contained a photo took a long time. Admittedly I skimmed but going back years, I could not find anything about WordPad itself taking a long time.

And nothing about the slowdown being caused by a Windows Update.

I am all for putting Microsoft in their place when - when due. But considering there are ~900 million Windows 10 systems out there, if a Windows Update broke just 1/10th of 1% of the systems, that would be 900,000 broken systems out there. Pretty sure if there were nearly 1 million broken systems out there, those users would be making a LOT of noise. And not just on their own, but due to the amplification of those complaints by all the eager-to-bash bloggers and members of the IT media who are always ready to pounce on MS for any reason. :(

Microsoft has committed enough blunders and lousy marketing and executive decisions on their own deserving of our wrath. And I'm likely first in line to give it to them. But there's no need to automatically point fingers when we cannot immediately find the cause of other issues. And when that happens, I am often first in line to defend them too.

Of course you are!
I merely made a personal observation. The attack was a surprise.
But, back to the beginning. Ccleaner now has a vast list of options. on its defaults, I would suggest that it s probaby harmless. But the program s freely available to all - beginners and experts. The former could easily create problems which did not exist with over enthusiasm.
like so many similar “cleaning” programs, it is as good as its user.

It was not an "attack" - just a "personal observation" on my part! ;)

As far as CCleaner's defaults - I typically change several immediately. Except for my security apps, I don't want, or need programs to install auto-updaters that run full time. I don't need or want programs to automatically delete files. And I don't need or want programs to automatically start with Windows - at least not by default.

And I agree an over-enthusiastic user could create problems, but IMO, that is part of the beauty of CCleaner that sets it apart from all other system cleaners. That is, (1) CCleaner is conservative and NOT overly aggressive in it's cleaning - especially its Registry cleaner. And (2), when it comes to its Registry cleaner it always prompts to backup the Registry and most importantly, its restore function works! :)

I will quickly add one important caveat. I do not recommend CCleaner's Registry cleaner (or any Registry cleaner) for "fixing" a broken computer. I only use and recommend it be used to "maintain" a computer optimally. That is, I install and run it on brand new computes, then I run it every few months after that, including after major OS and hardware upgrades (after ensuring the upgrade is working properly).

A new Version 5.66.7716 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released
Release notes
v5.66.7716 (01 May 2020)
In this version of CCleaner we have added full cleaning support for the Brave and Vivaldi browsers!
Please note we have patched the 5.66.7705 version to 5.66.7716 to fix a stability issue in the CCleaner Professional Trial flow.

Cleaning
- Brave browser can now be cleaned independently
- Vivaldi browser can now be cleaned independently

Health Check
- Fixed an issue where 'Cookies' was also deleting internet history and was incorrectly reporting large numbers of trackers
- Internet history is now deleted via the ‘History’ Privacy category, which also includes download history and recently typed URLs

Pro Trial
- Starting a CCleaner Professional trial now gives you a guided experience to its features

A new Version v5.67.7763 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released
Release notes
v5.67.7763 (28 May 2020)
This version of CCleaner brings more cleaning to Firefox, improvements in the delivery of our Professional trial guided experience, and some stability fixes for Windows 7 users.

Cleaning
- Added optional cleaning of Firefox crash reports

General
- Fixed a potential crash when CCleaner Professional, Business or Tech Editions launch on Windows 7
- Fixes to the Professional trial to improve the delivery of its guided experience

A new v5.69.7865 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released

Release notes​

v5.69.7865 (21 Jul 2020)
This version of CCleaner brings all-new cleaning for Opera GX browser and bug fixes.

Cleaning
- Added cleaning support for Opera GX gaming browser

General
- Minor UI improvements
- Fixed DetectOS from|to syntax functionality in WinApp2
- Fixed occasional missing information in the Licence Information screen

A new v5.70.7909 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released

Release notes​

v5.70.7909 (06 Aug 2020)
Important information for Firefox users

If you use Firefox with a Firefox account, we strongly recommend that you update CCleaner to version 5.70 before cleaning. This version of CCleaner fixes an issue that can cause extension settings to be lost in Firefox.

The update also includes performance improvements and improved support for Opera GX.

Important fix for Firefox users

-Fixed a bug where CCleaner could wipe extension settings in Firefox if using a Firefox account

Cleaning

-Added Smart Clean support for Opera GX
-CCleaner now differentiates between Opera and Opera GX processes
-Fixed a rare bug where Health Check would not close all selected browsers

General

-Fixed a performance issue where CCleaner could use more CPU than it needed
-DetectOS syntax correctly supports full Windows build numbers in WinApp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back