Windows 10 Changes to security updates

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Changes to Security Update Links

Updates have historically been published on both the Microsoft Download Center and the Microsoft Update Catalog and Security Bulletins linked directly to update packages on the Microsoft Download Center.

Some updates will no longer be available from the Microsoft Download Center.

Security bulletins will continue to link directly to the updates, but will point to the packages on the Microsoft Update Catalog for updates not available on the Microsoft Download Center.
Customers that use tools linking to the Microsoft Download Center should follow the links provided in the Security Bulletins or search directly on the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Reference

Interesting.....
But what does this mean for me when
- I install all updates automatically
Or
- When I reinstall Windows (whatever version)
Will I get all necessary updates or am I going to miss some?

Interesting.....
But what does this mean for me when
- I install all updates automatically
Or
- When I reinstall Windows (whatever version)
Will I get all necessary updates or am I going to miss some?
>>>Hi Henk; there is another issue here. Since as kemical says, Microsoft removes old or outdated updates from their Update Catalog automatically, that can be problematical.o_O What I mean by this, is that you should run the <Win.key+R> and type the WINVER command to see exactly what subversion of the 1511 build you have running on your computer. My desktop here comes back with Version 1511: OS Build 15386.318. The issue is that you must check this command periodically to see if your Windows Update is running and properly downloading and installing these updates via the weekly Update Push from Microsoft. If they are, you will eventually get all the current updates you need. If you don't then there may be some windows corruption on your machine or perhaps a nasty lurking virus that you haven't been able to remove or even know if was there!:headache: I now have 5-W10 machines here at my house and so I'm checking this pretty regularly.:) The other thing worth checking is your WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization) setting on the computer in question. If you have multiple W10 machines as I do, WUDO is time saving on this. I found out about this here on WF from PanamaJack only recently. You can set your WUDO settings to OFF, SHARE FROM LOCAL NETWORK MACHINES ONLY, OR SHARE FROM LOCAL NETWORK MACHINES AND RANDOM PCs ON THE INTERNET. Most of us here have the 2nd setting (SHARE FROM LOCAL NETWORK MACHINES ONLY). If your W10 machines are on a LAN and all connected, WUDO speeds up this update process nicely, as soon as the first machine in your network to get to let's say the .318 update version, the rest of your machines can pickup the necessary individual updates from that machine on your LAN, instead of having to go find and download them from the Microsoft Update Catalog. I'm pretty sure I remember you having multiple computers. In this case, it would be helpful for you to check and use that WUDO setting.:fdance:
Of course using the 2nd WUDO setting doesn't help you at all if you only have one W10 machine.:frown: And, if your W10 update settings are set to automatically download all updates, but they no longer come in regularly, or won't update to the latest version, you could have a problem in that machine's Windows which requires a repair or Windows reset/reinstallation as I mentioned. I just had to do this on my Acer AspireOne mini netbook this week. It's now working again, and downloading updates.:) Checking the WINVER command regularly on your each of your machines is the way to go to see if your updates are working and keeping each computer up to date.<<<
Cheers!<<<

<<<BBJ>>> ;)

Hallo BBJ,

Thanks for this information.
Very useful, and not only for me.

Henk

PS
The laptop I am working on now is not on the 'preview ring' and the build number I see is 10586.420, the same as in post #13 of kemical. And I look regularly if any new Window patches are installed.

Hi Henk,

Glad to help. I checked my desktop again today to see if it got the June 14 update mentioned by kemical in Post #13. I'm still at 10586.318; according to kemical's Post #12; this is the May 10th update. I just did an install this weekend on my Acer mini netbook, and put in all possible updates, and it shows up as 10586.318 also. I completed all the updates and the build on this W10 on Monday June 13th, the day before the Tuesday weekly update push from MS. I remember a deal from last year where the updates wouldn't get applied for 30 days after a build of W10. I'm talking about the November 2015 update if you remember that one. The deal there was that if you built any W10 system from scratch or did a Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1 upgrade after Oct. 1st; you had to wait 30 days in order to get that November update. I think I did one around Oct. 20th and tried to get it into any of my W10 machines prior to November 18th when that update became generally available through the MS update servers. It wouldn't let me update regardless of which machine I tried (I had like 3 machines back then on W10). Someone here on WF mentioned the 30 day wait period. And a day or two after the 30 days passed (Nov. 20th in my case), the November update finally went in.:)

I suspect it's the same kind of deal on this June 14th update (10586.420). If that's true, I won't be able to get to the new version (10586.420) on the Acer mini until after July 13th, 30 days after I installed and put in all previous updates! Hurry up and wait!:rolleyes:

I just checked my desktop PC and it's still on 10586.318; and I installed this one back in January 2016 of this year. I have 2 other W10 machines to check as well, another desktop and my main laptop. I'll post back and let you know what version those are at too. Turning the WUDO setting to get updates from LOCAL NETWORK SHARE, I expected to get this June 14th update--but, this morning as I'm writing this to you, I recalled the 30 day wait thing. That does explain why the Acer mini didn't get this newest update, but not my other W10 machines. I realize also, that when a new update comes out, there can be days of delay depending on your geographical location due to the MS servers doing push-downs on a new update. Hopefully, I'll get the 10586.420 (June 14th) update in a week or so on at least 1 of my W10 machines. From there WUDO should do the rest and propagate that new update to my other machines on my LAN. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work!

I've found it interesting that I now have 5-W10 machines, and it's quite difficult to keep all 5 of them at the exact same update version.
I'm hoping that WUDO would take care of that. I guess we'll see over the next several weeks.:blow:

Take care,
BBJ

Hi BBJ,

I was wondering whether you better use a newly downloaded version for re-installing, these should be up-to-date, without update problems. What is your experience?

Henk

Last edited:
Hi Henk,
I'm getting an early start today. I've done both, both Preview and RTM releases. MS has cleaned up a lot of the update problems that came out last July/August in the first few weeks post-RTM release. The WUDO thing seems to be helping as I mentioned. I like using an ISO file from 1 or 2 updates back, and not the most brand new release that kemical tells us is released or about to be released. I was using the July 29th RTM release until about January 2016 when I finally downloaded the Nov. 2016 release ISO file and did some clean installs with that. It did indeed decrease the post-install updates time as you suggest. ;)

On a side-note, I checked my main laptop last night and it's at 10586.420, the newest release you have. WUDO still hasn't propagated on my Main desktop PC, or the Acer mini netbook I mentioned I rebuilt last weekend. The mini I think is the 30 day thing. Not sure about my desktop PC, I'll let you know once that one pulls in the update. I'm hoping that one gets pulled in sooner rather than later with WUDO; I'm still experimenting with that you know. Since we both run multiple W10 machines, I think it's wise you are investigating what works best and takes the least time. About the time I get all 5 of these updated to 10586.420, another new version will be out. kemical mentions something about the 1607 (as opposed to Build 1511) may be released for the 1 year W10 anniversary update in July; so we'll have to start updating our machines all over again to the newer version. Uggh!!

I still have 1 more machine to check for you.

Cheers!:)
BBJ

Hi Henk,
Last night when I popped into my home office for a minute, I noticed that my main desktop was rebooting and installing updates! Very strange for a Friday night, huh? Anyway this morning when I ran my Winver command, sure enough my Desktop came up with the newest June update: 10586.420. Hooray!:up: I guess. I also checked my W10 Test PC where I run Preview and new editions of W10 on; and it too had the 10586.420 update also installed. All my machines appear to have gotten updated to the latest June update except my Acer mini, which I'm firing up right now to check. Well, I just checked the mini, and it's still at 10586.318.

I just thought of something interesting. All my other machines have the WUDO settings set as I mentioned, but since I just rebuilt my mini, I may have missed changing the WUDO settings from the Default=OFF setting W10 comes with. I'm trying to check this now, and will see if the mini gets the new June update 10586.420 during the next few days. I'll let you know what I find out. But, I'm catching up to you now! ;)

Marc

Hi again Henk,
Making a little correction here. While checking the mini just now for it's WUDO settings, I noticed that the WUDO setting was set to Option #3: "PCs ON MY LOCAL NETWORK, AND PCs ON THE INTERNET", so by default, WUDO is NOT OFF or disabled as I thought!! :shocked: Oops!:redface: I have all my other machines set to Option #2: "PCs ON MY LOCAL NETWORK", and Option #1=ON (or WUDO=enabled). I found this by re-reading the "How to turn off WUDO article" I mentioned that Panama Jack posted a few months back. Here's the link to that article, you may wish to bookmark it while helping folks in the W10 forums here:
Windows 10 How To: Turn off Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)

So, I've never set any of my machines to Option #3, "PCs ON MY LOCAL NETWORK, AND PCs ON THE INTERNET", I think I mentioned that before. That's the option that pulls in updates from other PCs on your home network that have already downloaded the latest update from MS update servers, AND also go out to Random PCs on the Internet and download a copy of their latest update and copy down to the PC you have this WUDO setting Option #3 set to. I haven't yet tried it, so here goes; I'm leaving my mini set to Option #3 and see if it gets the June update prior to the 30 day thing or not. People reading this probably think I'm nuts for doing it,:insanity: but how else are we to learn? Plus I've got a W10 workshop I'm going to be teaching in August here in a couple of months, I'd like to know more about how the WUDO options work; so it makes sense to try them all, huh?

I'll keep you posted,
Have a Great Weekend!:cool:
P.S. How's your weather over there?

Marc

Who will ever fully understand Microsoft?
But your and my weekend will be great after this message.

Greetings from the Ennstalerhof, Ramsau am Dachstein, Austria
Henk

I hear that; problem no one except Microsoft! :rofl:

Just finished checking the WUDO settings on the Acer mini, to Option #3, and when I went into Notifications-->Action Center-->All Settings-->Update & Security-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options, it listed that updates were downloaded and did I want to schedule a restart later or restart now. I selected restart now, of course, and rebooted. After about 15 min. the mini came back on and I ran the Winver command; and voila--I'm not updated to 10586.420! Just like all my other machines. Hooray, Hooray! :up:

I guess the moral to this story, is that MS provided that Option #3, to help get updates from both your home network and from the random PCs out on the Internet MUCH FASTER than without using that setting!:encouragement: Many of the other guys here have mentioned caution on doing this or the security risk of even attempting it; but, what the heak; my home network and desktop PC is pretty bulletproof behind multiple layers of both hardware and software firewalls (I think 4 or 5 altogether), so I figured what the heak? Of course, I don't know if I'd recommend it to most of our novice users, but for some of our more experienced volunteers and admins, it might be worth trying out if you're getting nowhere with trying to put in the latest June update or any other new update from MS.:D

Cheers from Southern California USA! :usa:

P.S. I didn't know you were in Austria--I thought you were in Amsterdam; I must be thinking of a different guy...:hide:

Marc

BIGBEARJEDI said:
P.S. I didn't know you were in Austria--I thought you were in Amsterdam; I must be thinking of a different guy...
You are right, I live in Leiderdorp, The Netherlands, a small village about 20 miles south of Schiphol/Amsterdam Airport, but right now we are on holiday in Austria.

Henk

Aha!! I did remember you then!;) Well, have a Great time, and enjoy the vacation.

See you soon...
Marc :clover:

Back