Windows 7 Changing file permissions without my knowledge and can't reverse

gtb

On my desktop computer I did a clean install of Windows 7 off the official MS Win 7 upgrade disc that I used to upgrade from XP. I did the many rounds of Windows Upgrades, etc. Then started to install only the programs I use and only from trusted sources. Everything was going smooth and just taking longer than I wanted.

I woke up my machine from sleep this morning and tried to launch itunes. I get this error: "The folder itunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder"

itunes was working fine all day prior to today.

So, I check the folder C > Users > (account name) and that folder has a gold lock icon on it. Under Properties it list "Read-only" as an attribute. So, I uncheck it and "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files". About halfway through the application of attributes (about a 5 minute process) I get the warning: "You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes". So, I do. The properties window shows this as unchecked now so I hit OK. The folder still has the gold lock on it. So, I hit properties again and the read-only check is there once again and itunes won't launch.

Any thoughts?

Mind you, I am the only account. The account is Admin level. And no one else has touched the machine at all.

Thanks!

Hi -

It's possible that your user profile has been corrupted even with a fresh OS install.

Info on "access denied" - "Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

Activate the Hidden Admin user account - Hidden Admin Account - sysnative.com - MVP

See if you can access the files with it.

Also, create another user account using the Hidden Admin account -

Create a user account

Is this Windows 7 x64 or x86?
Where is the iTunes folder located *the one that's locked)?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

JC, thanks! Lots to read up there.

The folder in question is in the default itunes location (I THINK): C > Users > (account name) > My Music > iTunes

I believe this is where the settings, etc reside and when I launch itunes it goes there first. I say this, because the majority of the MP3s are in a totally different folder: C > Users > (account name) > (user name) > MP3

This is how it has always been set up. Nothing there changed with the install or when it was working properly post fresh install and prior to issue.

Thanks again!

C > Users > (account name) > (user name) > MP3
I was trying to follow the directory path. Is the user name a folder name or a different user that signs in and the MP3 folder is located there?

Is there any Copyright protected material involved? Is the folder set up in the Library?

On one of my systems, the one with iTunes, my User folder has the lock. This system does not and I do not remember making any changes that would account for the difference. My user folder on the iTunes system, does show several Unknown users. Not sure if this is related to iTunes, or Media Center.

Do you have any other software for Music?

Because it says access denied, it might mean the folder is not available at all because the other location is not online.

I was trying to follow the directory path. Is the user name a folder name or a different user that signs in and the MP3 folder is located there?

Is there any Copyright protected material involved? Is the folder set up in the Library?

On one of my systems, the one with iTunes, my User folder has the lock. This system does not and I do not remember making any changes that would account for the difference. My user folder on the iTunes system, does show several Unknown users. Not sure if this is related to iTunes, or Media Center.

Do you have any other software for Music?

Because it says access denied, it might mean the folder is not available at all because the other location is not online.

Hmmm.....

Yes, the folder name is different. I locate my MP3 collection in a folder that is basically a folder where all my data is stored so I can sync it with my laptop (fyi, the laptop has the exact same file setup and no issues).

Copyrighted material, maybe. If so, it is one or two songs out of 800+

After the fresh install I am trying to run as minimal as possible, so there are no other music software programs like WinAmp, etc. The closest I would have to "other" music software would VLC, Media Center or goldwave.

As far access denied is concerned, the file locations did not change overnight. Also, every file, folder and itunes are all located on the C drive (there are two internal hard drives and no external hard drives).

Back
Top Bottom