Windows 7 Changing startup sound

fjgold

Like Vista, Win 7 doesn't offer a way to change the stupid startup sound to something more appropriate.
A Google search led me to this trick posted on this WinVistaClub forum.

How to change Windows Vista's startup sound. - Windows Vista Help Forum

The method described seems to work for Win 7 as well.

To avoid permission issues with replacing a system file with a modified system file I simply created the new .dll
using the method described above. ResHacker automatically creates a backup of the original .dll as well as the new one.
Win 7 won't let you replace the old .dll with the new .dll created by ResHacker.

I simply saved the new .dll to a thumb drive and booted into Ubuntu Intrepid (I have several Linux distros multibooted with both XP and Win ) and mounted my Win 7 partition. I was then able to replace my old imagere.dll with the new one.

Now instead of the inane Win 7 startup sound my computer now starts with the more appropriate (IMHO) Homer Simpson saying "to start press any key, where's the anykey?!"

As an added benefit the sound plays at the point in the boot process when Win 7 is fully up and functional.

In my case that is 45 to 48 seconds after choosing Win 7 from my boot menu. Cool.

Of course your "mileage may vary".

Last edited:
Change startup sound in windows 7

How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

1) Use the following beta program Reshacker from
Link Removed - Invalid URL

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that.

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory
Quote The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.Unquote Patrick Henry

Much easierr solution is to go to C:\windiws\media and choose any .wav file you preferfor any sound

All Windows 7 allows for a start up sound is the one they have as default unless you use this hack, All you can do under personalize sounds is check or un-check the play start up sound you can not change the default sound unless you change the sound in the dll I mentioned. You can change logon sound and other sounds by selecting sounds that are in Windows\Media or where ever you store them
See image
fopwnn.jpg

Hi Super Sarge,
Your instructions are right on. I had no problems when I did my Vista System. But now when I look at my W7 64-bit imageres.dll using XN Resource Editor I don't see the same file structure as I did in the old (Vista) imageres.dll. It's still in the System32 Directory but all that 1033 stuff is not there. There is a 5080 folder under the Wave folder and right clicking reveals the following active choices;
Add Resource
Import Image Resource
Import RC Data Resource
Import User Resource
Grab Bitmap
Got any ideas on where to go from there?
Wonder why Microsoft screwed this up and left the signoff sound customization alone:confused:
Thanks
Bob Helms

Hi Super Sarge,
Your instructions are right on. I had no problems when I did my Vista System. But now when I look at my W7 64-bit imageres.dll using XN Resource Editor I don't see the same file structure as I did in the old (Vista) imageres.dll. It's still in the System32 Directory but all that 1033 stuff is not there. There is a 5080 folder under the Wave folder and right clicking reveals the following active choices;
Add Resource
Import Image Resource
Import RC Data Resource
Import User Resource
Grab Bitmap
Got any ideas on where to go from there?
Wonder why Microsoft screwed this up and left the signoff sound customization alone:confused:
Thanks
Bob Helms
Use the RES hacker Beta

Use this an follow the instructions
2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory

Last edited:
OK Super Sarge, I downloaded ResHacker 3.5.0.82 so I can carve up a copy of my W7 imageres.dll. Thanks for pointing me to ResHacker beta site. I'll let you know how things work out, I'm still working on my preferred startup sound wave file.
Bob Helms

Last edited:
8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory.

Nice info Sarge, but in the system32 folder i cannot edit or replace files, it says i need a trusted installer, so i went to the system32 properties and tried to give myself permissions and it just says access denied and cannot give my any permissions. also i have my new imageres.dll file with my new wave ready just cant put it in there. any info would be appreciated thanks.

Try tapping the F8 key to access the command prompt, then copy the new imageres.dll file to the Windows\system32 directory.

I hope you have made a backup of the orig ginal or renamed the imageres,dll to imageres.bak.

You have to download the beta look in the download site it should say Beta, It must be version 3.5.0.82 (beta) That is the version that works
from site SP Secure Mirror US (Beta0 or External mirror (Beta) at the following Page

Nice info Sarge, but in the system32 folder i cannot edit or replace files, it says i need a trusted installer, so i went to the system32 properties and tried to give myself permissions and it just says access denied and cannot give my any permissions. also i have my new imageres.dll file with my new wave ready just cant put it in there. any info would be appreciated thanks.

You need to copy the imageres.dll to a different location to modify it as it is in use by Windows. Best place would be the desktop.

You have to download the beta look in the download site it should say Beta, It must be version 3.5.0.82 (beta) That is the version that works
from site SP Secure Mirror US (Beta0 or External mirror (Beta) at the following Page

I don't see that much difference between the beta and the older version.

Is it correct that it won't work with the older version?

I agree with reghakr then you must rename the the one in the system32 folder to Imageres.old or any other extension you want then copy the one you modified back into the system\32 folder

I agree with Reghakr
first copy it to a different location then modify it. Then go to system32 folder and rename the one there to imageres.old or any extension you want then copy the modified one and place it in the system32 folder

The older version does not work in Windows 7 at least 64 bit. Nothing shows or appears in the file pane with older version

I renamed the the one in the system32 folder with a Old extension then copied the new one I modified and pasted it in the system32 folder. You then can go back to original if needed

Like Vista, Win 7 doesn't offer a way to change the stupid startup sound to something more appropriate.
A Google search led me to this trick posted on this WinVistaClub forum.

How to change Windows Vista's startup sound. - Windows Vista Help Forum

The method described seems to work for Win 7 as well.

To avoid permission issues with replacing a system file with a modified system file I simply created the new .dll
using the method described above. ResHacker automatically creates a backup of the original .dll as well as the new one.
Win 7 won't let you replace the old .dll with the new .dll created by ResHacker.

I simply saved the new .dll to a thumb drive and booted into Ubuntu Intrepid (I have several Linux distros multibooted with both XP and Win ) and mounted my Win 7 partition. I was then able to replace my old imagere.dll with the new one.

Now instead of the inane Win 7 startup sound my computer now starts with the more appropriate (IMHO) Homer Simpson saying "to start press any key, where's the anykey?!"

As an added benefit the sound plays at the point in the boot process when Win 7 is fully up and functional.

In my case that is 45 to 48 seconds after choosing Win 7 from my boot menu. Cool.

Of course your "mileage may vary".
Change startup sound in windows 7

How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

3) Download ResHacker .

Quote The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.Unquote Patrick Henry​

Back