Windows 7 Changing taskbar color (No Aero)

AzimuthDragon

I ran a few searches and couldn't find any threads about this, but my graphics hardware does not support Aero, while I'm a bit upset about that, I can deal with it, what I would like to do, though, is change the color of the taskbar and window frames that 7 uses when Aero is not supported. Any suggestions?

I'm also having issues with OpenGL applications, I believe my hardware is an Intel 82845G Graphics Controller ( I think ), anyone got any ideas for that, too?

I have the same problem, but I believe it's unsolvable. Come to think of it, you couldn't change the taskbar colors in XP beyond the presets (unless you were using Win2000 style). I'm not sure about Vista withouth Aero (my Vista PC has pretty good graphics hardware), but I guess it's the same.

You won't be able to use Aero, either, because your graphics controller doesn't support Direct3D 9, which is required. As well as 128 MB of graphics memory, of which 82845/82855 has only 64 to my knowledge.

As for OpenGL, you might want to properly install display drivers, which is a bit tricky with this graphics hardware on Windows 7 - to say the least. Just take a look around in the support forums to find out how to do it.

To change the taskbar color....Right click on your desktop, goto personalize, then the "Windows Color" button, the color mixer button, and you can get any custom color you want. Make sure you play around with all the setting sliders and you'll get any color or intensity you want.

I have a custom light blue taskbar.

djwayne you must of missed the fact that they dont have aero on their machines. You can only change the taskbar color that way if you have aero enabled. Otherwise you are stuck with third party programs to redo the taskbar. I have tried several programs and none seem to be compatible as of yet with windows 7. I am srry to tell you that at this time there is no way to change the taskbar color.

Thanks for the feedback. That disappoints me, but I also have another problem, I have an ATI Radeon x800 256MB graphics card but no AGP slot on my motherboard. Short of replacing the computer, does anyone know what could be done to use this card? I can buy a new motherboard, but what type would I have to use in a Dell 2400?

djwayne you must of missed the fact that they dont have aero on their machines. You can only change the taskbar color that way if you have aero enabled. Otherwise you are stuck with third party programs to redo the taskbar. I have tried several programs and none seem to be compatible as of yet with windows 7. I am srry to tell you that at this time there is no way to change the taskbar color.

Thanks for this information, I thought all the Areo did was make some things transparent. I didn't know it also controlled color changes.

Thanks for the feedback. That disappoints me, but I also have another problem, I have an ATI Radeon x800 256MB graphics card but no AGP slot on my motherboard. Short of replacing the computer, does anyone know what could be done to use this card? I can buy a new motherboard, but what type would I have to use in a Dell 2400?

It'd be cheaper just to buy another video card if you have a PCI slot available.

Thanks for this information, I thought all the Areo did was make some things transparent. I didn't know it also controlled color changes.

It'd be cheaper just to buy another video card if you have a PCI slot available.

I want it to be just as powerful as my ATI, is that possible with a PCI?

It depends on what card you buy, if you buy a cheap one then no... you have to compare the specs of what cards are available to you in your price range.

I'm pretty happy with my video card (GeForce 7300GS)

I ran a few searches and couldn't find any threads about this, but my graphics hardware does not support Aero, while I'm a bit upset about that, I can deal with it, what I would like to do, though, is change the color of the taskbar and window frames that 7 uses when Aero is not supported. Any suggestions?

I'm also having issues with OpenGL applications, I believe my hardware is an Intel 82845G Graphics Controller ( I think ), anyone got any ideas for that, too?

What driver is Win7 using for this prehistoric graphics slot? You DID install the 8284G Intel driver manually - didn't you? hmmmm? If you did, I KNOW you must have installed it in XP COMPATABILITY MODE - Didn't you? Did you? If not. well I can be of no help to you UNTIL you do so!!!

I've used both a VGA driver and the driver for my onboard graphics in XP compaitibility mode., surprisingly the latter caused the computer to crash more than the former (Yes I KNOW how to install it in compatibility mode AND as an administrator, im not an idiot)

Well since you are so smart you should try to use your brains to upgrade that obsolete card. This isn't an O/S for shepherds...

Don't make me give the the history of Vista and incompatable software and hardware! :mad:

Try to run the Experience Index - you'll be lucky to get a 1.2 with that thing. More likely you'll crash lol.

Maybe you should pay attention to the fact that I'm TRYING to upgrade but my motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot. Try READING the responses I've been getting and making, instead of being a smartass.

Come on guys now lets settle down a little bit. We are supposed to be working together to solve problems no arguing with each other. This is your one warning. Thank You!

Back