Windows 10 Choose an Operating System

danrog06

I recently bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad E15 with the cheapest HDD available. I swapped it for a SATA SSD that I already had, formatted, and did a clean install of Windows 10 onto it. Then, I decided that I wanted to add an NVMe SSD and put Windows on that drive instead to take advantage of the faster speeds...so I did another clean install of Windows 10 - this time onto the NVMe drive, formatted the SATA SSD, and now I'm stuck with having to "Choose an operating system" with each reboot. In the attached picture, "Volume 6" is the NVMe drive, and Volume 3 is the SATA. The computer cannot boot from Volume 3, and if I try, it tries to repair Windows 10 unsuccessfully. I can boot no issues from Volume 6.

IMG-0925.jpg
I don't want multiple instances of Windows 10, and I don't know why I'm presented with this choice, since I formatted the SATA drive. I've formatted again since, but I can't seem to get rid of this menu at bootup. I've dug through the "Change defaults..." menu with no success.

Any suggestions to get the computer to stop trying to make me choose a volume to boot from?

Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing you left the first drive in while formatting the second. That would mean Windows reused the existing boot loader and just added a boot entry. The simplest solution would be to format both drives and then do a clean install on the desired drive

I had a feeling that'd fix it - didn't know the reasoning behind it. Formatted both, clean install on the NVMe drive, problem solved! I ended up having to do it twice, bc both drives are identical size, and I could not figure out which was the NVMe drive...but now I'm set. Thanks!

It would be possible to determine that, but it's quite a bit more technical using diskpart, winobj and bcdedit

Back