Windows 8 Classic Shell, Windows Explorer, and Spybot?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I had a strange problem today and I just got it fixed.

When I would right click on anything in the Left Windows Explorer column, Windows Explorer would close.

I could right click on anything in the right side of the screen OK but that meant that I could right click on anything but the main drive structure.

I couldn't right click on Drive C:\, D:\ etc.

As long as I opened C:\ so the sub folders would appear in the right panel I could click on them, but not if they were in the left panel.

I found that other people were having the same problem, and they were all running Classic Shell.
Most people found that it had to do with some software that they had recently installed.

The only thing that I have installed in the last few days was Spybot Search and Destroy.

I uninstalled it and the problem went away.

So if you are running Classic Shell and you start having this problem look at software that you have installed recently and try removing it.

I'm not going to reinstall Spybot again for now but I may try again later and see if the same thing happens again.

Mike

Hi

I used it for years but quit a while back.
I just installed it to run a scan and see if it found anything my other stuff didn't.

It did find one piece of malware and remove it.

Spybot does have some hit on computer performance, at least it seems that way to me.

Mike

Back