Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

I tried it, the source forge classical menu. Its good and does what it says on the tin but I just prefer the new Win7 start menu.

Thanks for having this discussion and giving all the tips, folks. I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I probably will. I dislike the new start menu very much. The old pop-out menus made navigating through folders very quick and easy. Scrolling and clicking, and yes typing takes more time, and more hands. I don't know the name of every entry for every program. Typing "nvidia" doesn't show all the options under that entry in the start menu. Typing "maintenance" shows NONE of the entries under that entry. If I type "administrative" I get a link to "administrative tools" in explorer...I can just hit enter, but it will still open a new process to browse these applications. Then click to open it. Guess what...I'm never going to know the name and location of every program, app, and feature on my computer. The start menu and its search function seems clunky at best. I'm still getting used to it, so won't rule it out. I may just need to learn how to use it more effectively, where XP didn't force me to experiment. TIPS: -Don't want to scroll? Increase the number of frequently used programs shown on the left. 15 extends the window far enough for me not to have to scroll right now. I love having "music", "documents" "downloads" "Administrative tools" "Control Panel" etc. there on the right. Select "display as menu" in settings...viola, they pop out (somewhat) quickly on hover and you can easily navigate to most of what you need right from there. Still not as intuitive as XP, though.

This is a great add on reghakr. I'm only sorry i haven't visited this site in so long and didn't get a hold of it sooner

Yes we am going to move on!
We just download a reviewed Win7 Pro nice.. But know Classic Menu and know Outlook Express.
I just abandoned plans to move our business to Win7 and will say with XP as it is supported for next four years.
Then move on....
To Link Removed - Invalid URL
Simple... Upset long term customer and lose the business...
Windows Live Mail is an unreadable POS and old menu’s are just fine..
Understand the difference between change and progress!
New applications are progress; unreadable cosmetic makeovers are just change.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN WINDOWS 7 TO MAKE THE START MENU BACK TO CLASSIC. THE NEW START MENU IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THAT OF OLD AND MICROSOFT KNOWS THAT.

i like the old stuff i think the new start menu blows so i figured this out

There is a 99% way to have a classic style start menu (the one drawback is that the folders will stay in alphabetical order in the menus and the My Documents folder will show in first list)

the way i did it was right click on the Documents button on the start menu (i renamed it to PROGRAMS) (also make sure it is set to display as menu) and click open, leave that window to the side, then right click on All Programs and open all users, then copy all the stuff you want from there to the window you opened first, then (you have to do this 1 item at a time) then right click and hold and drag each to the my documents folder let go of the right button and select "add this item to library:, now the documents button (or what ever you want to name it to will act EXACTLY like the old style start menu.

Also if you want the old style quick launch too just right click on the task bar and choose toolbars then new toolbar then when the window pops up aopy and paste this [FONT=&quot]( %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch ) in the folder box and then click select folder. now you have the old style quick launch too

Hope you like it[/FONT]

i like the old stuff i think the new start menu blows so i figured this out

There is a 99% way to have a classic style start menu (the one drawback is that the folders will stay in alphabetical order in the menus and the My Documents folder will show in first list)

the way i did it was right click on the Documents button on the start menu (i renamed it to PROGRAMS) (also make sure it is set to display as menu) and click open, leave that window to the side, then right click on All Programs and open all users, then copy all the stuff you want from there to the window you opened first, then (you have to do this 1 item at a time) then right click and hold and drag each to the my documents folder let go of the right button and select "add this item to library:, now the documents button (or what ever you want to name it to will act EXACTLY like the old style start menu.

Also if you want the old style quick launch too just right click on the task bar and choose toolbars then new toolbar then when the window pops up aopy and paste this [FONT=&quot]( %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch ) in the folder box and then click select folder. now you have the old style quick launch too

Hope you like it[/FONT]
Just doenload the totally FREE and absolutely EXCELLENT "CLASSIC SHELL" application and you are of to better computing. The good thing is that should you wish to use the horrid new menu then all you do is press SHIFT and START and you have the new !@#$% menu. Otherwise when you press start you will be welcomed by the more EFFICIENT and better Classic menus! =:)
Use this link: Welcome to Classic Shell

Just doenload the totally FREE and absolutely EXCELLENT "CLASSIC SHELL" application and you are of to better computing. The good thing is that should you wish to use the horrid new menu then all you do is press SHIFT and START and you have the new !@#$% menu. Otherwise when you press start you will be welcomed by the more EFFICIENT and better Classic menus! =:)
Use this link: Welcome to Classic Shell
I loaded classic shell and i like it - thanx and i like having the up button back in windows explorer again, now if i could just get explorer to open on the c drive instead of libraries things would be peachee - one thing i cand seem to figure out is in the classic shell menu under settings control panel and printers have to be opened i would like them to expand

now if i could just get explorer to open on the c drive instead of libraries things would be peachee
Take a look at this article and see if provides some help in resolving this.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Take a look at this article and see if provides some help in resolving this.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
i figured it out on my own but thanx alot for the reply trouble.
I just changed the shortcut to point to the c drive instead of explorer.
and to tanzano if you were going reply to expanding issue i figured that out too but thanx again for the classic shell tip - I like it

Back