Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

Couldn't agree more jimbo.

That app sure isn't fopr me.

Look at the amount of real estate it takes up........Crazy:frown:

Couldn't agree more jimbo.

That app sure isn't fopr me.

Look at the amount of real estate it takes up........Crazy:frown:

Me lost for words = classic = doh . Sorry :D

Sorry folkes was a bit untoward = drunk ! Oops very sorry ;)

Last edited:
I would not let the lack of something like a classic start menu in itself keep me from purchasing a product........BUT! Microsoft has publicly stated that a need or desire of 2% of their 1 billion users worldwide was considered a "significant" number. Yet, even without as much as a faked, made-up excuse, they ignore, by their own numbers 15% (and the number typically runs between 25 to 40% in other polls) of those 1 billion users. That is a significant negative to me; much bigger a negative than the loss of a functional start menu that doesn't include Fisher-Price frills.

Its simple, don't use se7en or simply wait for a 3rd party program that changes the menu to a classic menu.

The new menu isn't even really that different anyways.

That about sums up this extraordinay thread!
A lot of rhetoric, but only two or three actual and factual comments on what is liked in the classic, or, alternatively, what is disliked in the new menu.

"Good old classic is nice and neat, and doesn't change every time I use a program. Its all out what I want from start menu and will stay on xp until a 3rd party mod comes out for it. "

What a remarkable reason for staying on a 14 year old OS!

"Microsoft has publicly stated that a need or desire of 2% of their 1 billion users worldwide was considered a "significant" number" - Was that in relation to the menus? I cannot find a reference to the statement.

The one or two remarks about space useage seem rather misplaced. The start menu is only there when needed. It can hardly, under those circumstances, be taking up space.
Fwiw.The so called New menu has been available now for about nine years, I'm sure most users are aware of, and using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Microsoft has publicly stated that a need or desire of 2% of their 1 billion users worldwide was considered a "significant" number" - Was that in relation to the menus? I cannot find a reference to the statement.

No, this statement was not in reference to any specific feature. I cannot "lay my finger" on that statement at the moment, so I guess my credibility is shot. Oh well!! It was in a blog on one of the Microsoft developer's blog sites.

As to why I prefer the classic start menu........and.......classic Windows Explorer file system: It is intuitive for the human mind, from centuries before PCs came along, to follow a certain "hierarchy" in indexing saved information for later retrieval. For example: if one is looking for Houston TX on a world globe, they first look for North America, then USA, then Texas, then Houston. They don't immediately start scanning the globe for Houston TX. (This may be a poor example, but it is a good illustration of my point.) As Microsoft moved from Windows 2000, to XP, to Vista, and now even to Windows 7, they have moved farther and farther away from the intuitive method for searching for something on your computer. I can find Houston TX on my "computer globe" MUCH faster and easier by the old, intuitive method (classic) than by the "new way". This is my reason for improving the "old way" rather than trying to re-engineer the human brain through computer software.

Microsoft apparently didn't learn certain things from the Vista flop. They have to pay attention to what users want. I am the IT Director at a large company. I can tell you this.. if there is no "Classic Start Menu".. then we're holding onto XP for the long haul. There is no excuse not to have it. My personal thoughts on it: It looks much less clean. You can't even put folders above program shortcuts after clicking "All Programs". When I open the Start Menu, I don't want to have to click "All Programs". I don't want those shortcuts coming up when I click the start menu. My shortcuts are on the desktop already. If they were that important, I'd pin it to the taskbar. Also, don't even start me with their filing system. I hate how they did away with the My Docs --> Music, Video folders. Now Documents is separated. Great.. now my department is going to have to field months of calls over that. Great job Microsoft.

"When I open the Start Menu, I don't want to have to click "All Programs". I don't want those shortcuts coming up when I click the start menu"

But did you not have to click "Programs", in XP.? In the attached picture of my previuos post, I am using my wifes computer, with XP. I certainly had to do it there to get that result.
Splitting hairs, I realise, but I use the mouse hover feature in 7, so there is no click actually involved.

" You can't even put folders above program shortcuts after clicking "All Programs".

Not sure, but do you, again, mean, like I have in my Windows 7 picture?

Microsoft apparently didn't learn certain things from the Vista flop. They have to pay attention to what users want. I am the IT Director at a large company. I can tell you this.. if there is no "Classic Start Menu".. then we're holding onto XP for the long haul. There is no excuse not to have it. My personal thoughts on it: It looks much less clean. You can't even put folders above program shortcuts after clicking "All Programs". When I open the Start Menu, I don't want to have to click "All Programs". I don't want those shortcuts coming up when I click the start menu. My shortcuts are on the desktop already. If they were that important, I'd pin it to the taskbar. Also, don't even start me with their filing system. I hate how they did away with the My Docs --> Music, Video folders. Now Documents is separated. Great.. now my department is going to have to field months of calls over that. Great job Microsoft.

Only thing I would say on this contraversy about the start menue is . It would not have hurt MS to leave the option in .
At one stroke would have removed the problem . They had it in Vista why not in 7 ?

??????

It seems that my Classic Start menu may be quite different from some others. What is shown here is without clicking anything except the "START" button. As the cursor passes over a selection, that selection expands without any further clicking. This goes right to whatever individual file you want. (Maybe I got sumpin' special.)

Only thing I would say on this contraversy about the start menue is . It would not have hurt MS to leave the option in .
At one stroke would have removed the problem . They had it in Vista why not in 7 ?

It may have hurt.
The biggest complaint. In fact, almost the only complaint, which subsquently led to other issues, was that Vista was a resource hogger. It was Microsoft's deliberate intention, when cleaning it up into its new form - Windows 7, to make sure there was no superfluous or uneeded items which led to that problem.
If they now bowed to the wishes of all who were requesting small additions, which had existed in legacy OS's, they would be heading back toward square one.

As I said very much earlier, I had avoided entering this very controversial thread. There is no real answer as it is most certainly a matter of taste. The classic menu will not be returning. I prefer the "new" menu. Having said what I wished, I am now cowardly backing out of this thread!!

Classic start menu.

Some of you people just dont get it... All you think about is what you personally want.. and thats all the microsoft interface designers think about "small time" "workgroups".

When the reality is that the corporate world is the larger chunk of their revenue stream.

Why didnt "corporates" take up vista????

Why didnt "corporates" take up office 2k7???

Sit back and think for a minute what it costs for an organisation to retrain 40,000 - 100,000 or more staff, all because the interface changes will disorient their users. The majority of people in large organisations do not deal with change at all.

What do you think it costs an organisation per user per day, whilst their users are unproductive trying to find their way around their computer??

Transition in a large corporate environment is difficult to manage at the best of times but add simplify the interface for the users or bring back familiarity and Hey presto your a winner.

Wake up Microsoft its time to listen to the power players in business, show your interface designers the door and get them out in the real world. :mad:

and for the guy with the Camaro SS as his avitar (worked on PC tools) arguing against the old start menu, stop for a second and think about why you like the old car.. clean lines, shape, performance etc..

Ps, I work for an international integration company and have worked in the IT industry for 25 years, back at the beginning.. (yes nearly dead) and tiring very quickly of Microsofts "small time" view of the world.

Regards
HOnda

I dont like the default Windows XP theme not to mention Vista, no comment about Windows 7. And I really hate the new start menu (the only think I liked in windows was the classic menu), not simple at all ... user friendly they say, yeah right. Hope Autodesk will make 3DSMax for linux someday so I can finally forget what Microsoft word means.

..but win7 works better than XP ..... for now :)

You can emulate the classic start menu in Windows 7.
So you have the features of the new menu and the classic start menu side by side.

• Features of the new menu:
  • recent opened programs
  • pinned programs
  • jumplists
  • special links (right area of start menu)
  • search bar
  • Bad in new menu:
  • All programs: louvre opened menu
  • Reduced space for "All programs" menu by start menu
  • Search bar without "history"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Features of classic menu:
  • Laterally opened menu without mouse click
  • Menus uses full screen height
  • Bad in classic menu:
  • No recent opened programs
  • No jumplist
  • No search bar

and for the guy with the Camaro SS as his avitar (worked on PC tools) arguing against the old start menu, stop for a second and think about why you like the old car.. clean lines, shape, performance etc..

Arguing against the old Start Menu???????????????

I suggest you take a look at posts #16, 52, 55, 58, and 117.

Regarding my car, I've owned Nova's (yes, it's not a Camaro) since I was 18 years old.

I like all types of classic and antique cars. Cars like the Edsel, the old Cadillacs with the huge tail fins and any other car that has been dropped from the lineup and is not available any more.

"Some of you people just dont get it... All you think about is what you personally want."

I thought that was one of the principles of business. I don't buy a new car because the manufacturer wants me to buy a new car. I buy a new car because the manufacturer has produced something that I, personally, want or need. If the product doesn't fit my desires, I simply don't buy it. If Microsoft wants to sell their product to the corporate world, it is their responsibility to produce a product that the corporate world wants. Conversely, if a product doesn't fit someone's needs, whether an individual or corporation, they simply do not buy that product. If the corporate world requires, for instance, a classic user interface they just DON'T BUY A PRODUCT WITHOUT IT!!! That's all they gotta do!!!

Hi,

The lack of a classic start menu really annoys me, so I've written a little program that imitates the one from XP / Vista. It's not perfect, and it doesn't work when you press the real start button (I placed an icon next to the real start button instead), but I find it so much easier to use than the one Windows 7 has.

More info can be found in this thread about how to set up and use etc...

I've attached a couple of screenshots and a ZIP file.

Thomas

Last edited:
There is no switching back to the classic view start menu in 7. They are telling people to move on.

Yeah, and if Microsoft told you to wank yourself in public that's probably just what you'd do. Because Microsoft told you it was better for you. Some people use Windows for other things than playing games you know ... real work. They don't care about frills. In fact they don't WANT frills and useless "new features".

Hey Windows 7 Users I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Downloaded From MSDN......

About Classic Start Menu You can't expect every thing at your disposable, microsoft has stopped Spoon Feeding ha ha ha...
So if you want any thing you have to make it your self web surfing & information about classic start menu is helpless as i tried 4 days then i decided to use my Logic and i deployed the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit ISO image using n-Lite during deploying ii had Vista Ultimate 64 Bit....
In n-Lite you will come to know all hidden keys for enabling and disabling feature of Windows....
that will help you to make your own custome selection in class of windows appearance;windows behaviour;windows settings;windows default softwares....
I did so and selected classic menu and reconstructed the ISO and burned on DVD using MagicISOMaker and it worked for me.....
now i have got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with quick launch,classic start menu, efficient power saver profile...

You used N-lite ?? On a Windows 7 image ?? I was under the impression that the .wim file format was introduced with Vista, long after n-Lite was released and that n-Lite can't read that. Please elaborate ...

Last edited:
Back