Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

Ok... they did away with window position and size memory; and they take away the clean, concise, quick to use start menu. So now, everytime my people start up their computers, they get to spend the first 15 minutes of their day rebuilding and reconfiguring their windows and folder views. Then instead of clicking on the start button - going to their organized folder and clicking on the ap they want, they get to open this abomination of a menu and after several clicks - get to their program.

Now that is what I call a real productivity enhancement. And I won't even go into the issues with multiple monitor setups. What was microsoft thinking?

First off my last argument i made was not analytical at all. I looked up the facts online and displayed them. Now to Warp, sounds like the IT people you have need to leanr how to configure windows 7 correctly. We configured it on the college campus for 200 pcs a couple days ago and everything works as planned no fifteen minutes doing this or that. I dont know where that comes from but it works for our network. Im not going to get into a fist fight over this im just offering my opinion as an IT Expert. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as was Microsoft when they removed the classic menu. This argument has gone on long enough. In my perceived mind Microsoft has made an executive decision and i accept it. As has been stated before you can download classic menu emulators that emulate the classic menu for you!!!!

Last edited:
I don't really care how good your IT department is or how many people you have - the facts are simply the facts - Windows 7 eliminates some of the clean, concise tools that we all have grown use to:

It won't remember windows postioning or sizing and the simple to use classic start menu is gone. Making someone re-learn what they already know or perform more mouseclicks and keystrokes than previously needed - is in no way - progress - it is non-productive.

Well hell lets stop makling doctors get recertified in something they already know then if thats how you view it. Sometimes change comes and we have to deal with change. Change has come now deal with it. Microsoft knew they would make people upset but they also knew that people were living in the past and need to move on. So they made the decision they made. Im done arguing on this everything works as it should with my copies of windows 7.

Well heck, let's just get rid of electric starters on our cars too... go back to the crank system - less parts needed, less to go wrong. You're argument just doesn't hold up for anyone other than IT experts who don't use the software everyday for a productivity reason. Most users are not IT experts or geeks - I happen to come from both worlds and yes there are a lot of nice technical improvements - but the human interface as taken a step backwards - or I guess the thousands of posts on this subject are just all out of step - that's right we're all out of step except you and microsoft - have a nice parade.

Im glad you have noticed the others beside me who have said they like the new start menu. Im glad you have taken a look at the poll we posted for the classic start menu that clearly shows more people seem to like the new start menu. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/1876-classic-vs-new-start-menu.html As i said i am done arguing over this as it is pointless and is getting out of hand. We are here to discuss topics not get in a fire fight like we are now.

I use the new start menu, but its alpha channel is definitely bad. The new 7 Start Menu can sure be customized, but the shortage is that when you adjust its color to a darkly visible, the rest of the 7 visuals (titles and the alt-tab frame) look unpleasantly dark. And vice versa, when I set windows titles good distinctly looking with a light color, the start menu turns too much transparent ugly. I think Microsoft could have provided separate color values and transparency levels for different parts of 7 graphic interface, titles, start menu, superbar, and alt-tab frame. I did submit this suggestion at the development time.

oh i agree on that on cybercore i never said the new menu was perfect. But it seems we agree on that the layout is good but the visuals of the color need to be worked on!!!

Ok... they did away with window position and size memory; and they take away the clean, concise, quick to use start menu. So now, everytime my people start up their computers, they get to spend the first 15 minutes of their day rebuilding and reconfiguring their windows and folder views. Then instead of clicking on the start button - going to their organized folder and clicking on the ap they want, they get to open this abomination of a menu and after several clicks - get to their program.

Now that is what I call a real productivity enhancement. And I won't even go into the issues with multiple monitor setups. What was microsoft thinking?

Sounds like you need to get your people organised. and give them some training. The new Start menu may or may not be as good as the classical one but its not that hard to use. I dont see why they hav e to sprend time reconfiguring windows and folder views every day.

Well hell lets stop makling doctors get recertified in something they already know then if thats how you view it. Sometimes change comes and we have to deal with change. Change has come now deal with it. Microsoft knew they would make people upset but they also knew that people were living in the past and need to move on. So they made the decision they made. Im done arguing on this everything works as it should with my copies of windows 7.
For someone who claims to be moving on; you sure give very weak arguments.
Computers are a tool; and as such are supposed to make tasks easier. The new menu does exactly the opposite! You call that moving on?
Microsoft has done what many corporations have and will do; and that is to change a product not to make it more efficient but by making it prettier, and very different they can market it more. By removing classic menus option they have broken all ties with the failure called Vista and the much loved XP. They did this to sell more W7.
USER FRIENDLY is what classic menu is. The new menu is horrid!
But I guess I am just a dumb moron not worthy of commenting on a product of a monopoly corporation. Since I paid money for all the windows os's (W95 up to W7) I expect to get a product that is at the least on a par with its predessecor. The lack of classic menus is a downgrade which ever way one looks at it. I do not eat anything that is served at me when I am paying for it!
A company should listen to its cutomers and not the other way round.
PS: With win7 x64 I cannot get it properly installed. It refuses to reboot after the first boot. I am almost on the verge of throwing it out the window and reinstalling XP!:mad:

Im sorry but isnt this post about the CLASSIC START MENU Im sure theres a post where those who like the new start menu can voice there opinion. theres is nothing better about this new menu its no faster than the old one as matter of fact with the registry tweak in previous versions of windows (menu show delay) theres no competition!! you shouldnt change something that works! maybe make it better I could see the menu bar being translucent but thats all the change thats needed for me! please bring back the classic menu bar for those of us who have been faithful for sooo many years MS

Im sorry but isnt this post about the CLASSIC START MENU Im sure theres a post where those who like the new start menu can voice there opinion. theres is nothing better about this new menu its no faster than the old one as matter of fact with the registry tweak in previous versions of windows (menu show delay) theres no competition!! you shouldnt change something that works! maybe make it better I could see the menu bar being translucent but thats all the change thats needed for me! please bring back the classic menu bar for those of us who have been faithful for sooo many years MS

First off yes this is about the classic menu but people have throughout both sides of the argument have said something about the new even you did wow. And its all a matter of opinion there is no one that is faster than the other. I dont care what tests anyone has. It depends on the person and that is how it is. Unfortunately Microsoft went ahead and sided with the new. What can you do? Microsoft won't change and we all know they wont from previous history. I dont know what to say. But this thread is for both the Classic and New Start Menus!!!!

OK, given that MS has decided to eliminate the classic menu, of the third party options, which is best? I could post a couple of links but do not want to get accused of "promoting" one or two of the several options already available. OR, is there a handy way to find the program wanted WITHOUT having to type it in. Maybe it's early Alzheimer's setting in, but I flat cannot remember the names of some of my programs. What's the way around that? Any suggestions other than the third party route?

I like the Classic 7 Start Menu. About the only feature missing now is drop n drag. That will come out in the next version. If you have several computers running Windows 7, you can save 30% discount if you buy multiple licenses. The registration module is broken so ask the developer for a private build version. It will take care of appcrash issues with Threatfire and Data Execution Prevention. That should be fixed with the next release.

Why I bought it is I'm used to the classic start menu and its too late for an old dog to learn new tricks!

Ya Basta!

Im glad you have noticed the others beside me who have said they like the new start menu. Im glad you have taken a look at the poll we posted for the classic start menu that clearly shows more people seem to like the new start menu. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/1876-classic-vs-new-start-menu.html As i said i am done arguing over this as it is pointless and is getting out of hand. We are here to discuss topics not get in a fire fight like we are now.

Ha! "More people seem to like the new start menu!" 400 respondents who visit this forum to find solutions to the new MS Windows 7 start menu introduced a week or two ago hardly represents a broad base, no?

While I was naive enough to believe that Windows 7 couldn't possibly be worse than Vista, and while I had already bought the pro version the classic start menu at Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu (highly recommended because it completely solved the new problems it introduced in its start menu), I ran into two other problems in Microsoft's Windows 7 that "pushed me over the edge." When the ONE-YEAR-OLD HP SCANNER, a "Vista ready scanner," wouldn't work under MS 7, and when I couldn't find the Windows Internet Explorer Cache (as 35 million others couldn't find, evidently if the Google search numbers are any indication), I figured I'd had enough. I did a clean delete of ALL THINGS MICROSOFT and installed Ubuntu 9.10, a clean install WIPING AWAY EVERYTHING MICROSOFT! The bonds of Microsoft falling during the installation of Ubuntu 9.10 was liberation! A sheer delight!

Email client, printer, and scanner all work! Yes, there is going to be a learning curve, but it will be to embrace new innovations, not to partake in Microsoft's deliberate planned obsolescence. Having been a victim of ME, Vista, and now Windows 7, at least I "feel" liberated!

It Will Not Be Easy!

The saga continues (I see)...

Try the Serenity Prayer

Cheers,
Drew

Drew, it was the Serenity Prayer, the first part, that let me to abandon MS and the Windows 7 OS for Ubuntu! :)
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]--Reinhold Niebuhr[/SIZE][/FONT]
It will not be easy, but I am happy with having made the decision and with the learning prospects that lie ahead. :D

Best wishes.

Back