Windows 7 Clean install stuck on starting windows screen

no-regrets

I got my windows 7 disk from my university and started installing it on a new computer I just built for windows 7. Here are the specs:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intel Core i7 940 Processor
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Patriot Viper Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard
[/FONT]Seagate 1.5 TB Hard drive
64 bit

I have already tried removing all but 1 memory stick and switching those sticks out. My screen freezes right when the starting windows screen comes up, the logo doesn't even have time to pop up. I only have my keyboard and mouse plugged in and that's it.

The only thing i can think of is that i need to swap out the video card because I remember reading that people are having a hard time with nvidia graphics cards and install. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I think there was some problems with keyboards too. Mainly the media type with USB connections. Search on that and see what you find.
Joe

64 or 32 bit?

Is this during the install or after it has booted a few times and finished the install?

Did you try going into safe mode?

Is the disk burned from an ISO or a factory pressed? The burned disks often fail if burned faster than 4x.

It is 64 bit, factory pressed cd, and it freezes right after the loading bar during installation.

So right after this:
Windows7installation00001.png

Last edited:
That's a tough one... I don't think any of the I7 motherboards have onboard graphics so it's not so easy to get around a video card. Like you said that could be the problem and as joe said usb devices sometimes have created problems with getting 7 installed. It still seems suspicious that it freezes copying files.. like the disk could be scratched or damaged.

Have you tried custom install and formatted the drive to ntfs before going into the setup?

A custom pressed disk, how about that.

Are any of your colleagues having the same problem.?

I just got the picture off google and it had the site copyright on it, I'll say again it freezes after that screen where it says starting windows, but before the windows logo pops up.

If I tried swapping the hard drive I'm using into another computer and installed the os in that system then stuck the hard drive back in my system would that work?

I

If I tried swapping the hard drive I'm using into another computer and installed the os in that system then stuck the hard drive back in my system would that work?

Consider it's going to set up windows drivers for the system's hardware you install on.... which would probably lead to more nightmares. You need to figrue out what's the problem because even if you get Window installed on a hard drive it's probably not going to work in the system you put it in. Chances are the bios has somethign going on that needs to be modified or the bios needs to be flashed to fix the problem

But try it... there's a good possibility that you may find what needs fixing. Most of what I know I learned by accident or when something broke.

I think I am going to recommend to anyone having such a problem to try 2 things:

First, make sure and format both the 100 meg partition (if it is already there) and your primary partition during the custom install, assuming you don't mind losing your files.

If you have the ability, copy the installation files to another partition on the hard drive and install from there. I realize if you do not have an operating system installed you cannot do this, but if you can---

Are you running a RAID or anything like that? Any modems installed?

I also notice you have a 940 processor installed. Any chance you might need to update your Bios as tblount suggests?

Last edited:
Back