Specs:

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire Ready
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core 4200+
ATI Radeon X850 Crossfire Edition X2
2gb RAM
75gb Western Digital HDD
Latest version of BIOS
Only USB devices plugged is my mouse and keyboard

I currently have Windows XP Pro, and I've been trying to do a clean install. I tried the 32 bit and 64 bit. I tried without formatting, and I tried formatting. I would get through the installation ok until the "Completing Installation" part. It would go through it, my screen would go on and off (does the same thing during XP installation also). Then I think it was trying to reboot. It sounded like it was, and the screen went black, and then "No Signal" showed up on my monitor, which happens when I do restart, so no biggy. But then the BSOD pops up for not even a second, then my computer powers down, and starts back up. Then an options screen would pop up for just a second, and go off (I can't tell you what either of them said because it happened so quickly). Then the option to boot up in safe mode, network, command prompt, etc comes on. I tried normal, but no good. I tried safe mode, but got an error saying it couldn't finish setup or something. If I don't hit any options, it'll just keep booting like that over and over.

I know that's not a whole lot to go on, but that's all I can really give...Any body and ANY clue what's going on or things to try? Thanks.

First of all..are you trying to dual boot? or get rid of XP completely? I ha dsimiliar experience and it turned out it didn't like one of the sticks of ram I was using. Upon removal, it installed quick. If its not your ram, then maybe the video card. If that board has integrated video, set the board to use that instead of you ATI card. Then try vic versa. Toi me it sounds like 7 doesn't like a piece of your hardware. That shouldnt take to long to see if I'm right or wrong...please repost

I'm trying to get rid of XP completely. I'm sure it is a hardware problem, just no clue what it is. I don't have much experience with hardware, so I don't know how to use integrated video...And if I'd have to start taking hardware out, then I'm not even going to mess with it.

Are you connected to your monitor in VGA? Some people have issues if connected with DVI or HDMI.

Kyle, I'm hooked up with both VGA and DVI. I cannot, for the life of me ever remember which one's which. I have duel video cards, Radeon X850 Crossfire Editions. I have an adapter. The bigger of the two cords plug into both video cards, then there's a smaller end, which I plug my monitor in to.

I do believe that it has something do with my video, whether it's the cards or whatever. I thought I'd try something. Since Windows 7 is compatible with Vista, I thought I'd try to install Vista, install all my drivers, and then upgrade to 7 to see if that would work.. One thing I forgot to mention was, when Windows 7 was "Completing Installation" and the monitor went black,, when it came back on, the resolution was higher, so I guess it recongnized my video cards? But then it went black again, and when it came back on, the resolution was low again, then it does the crash.

I aquired a copy of Vista and did a clean install. All went well. I started installing my drivers. I downloaded my video driver, and in the middle of it, got the BSOD, and the same things that happened in my first post.

I wonder if anything could be done. I don't have an extra video card, and I sure can't afford a new one. I wonder if maybe I unplugged a cord to one of the video cards, that might work? I don't know. Like I said, I'm not all that experienced with hardware. Never felt to comfortable messing with it.

your on the right track...

if your running dual ATI cards (video cards of which the DVI is the white recatular and VGA is colored in blue), then you very well may have video problems. Integrated video is is the cheap video card thats on your motherboard. 8 or 9 out of 10 mobos have it. Integrated video isn't good for gaming, but it does provide a simple Graphical User Interface (GUI) for you. The idea is to enable the integrated video and disable or remove the other video cards so you can at least finish loading win 7. Then you can start adding cards and updating drivers on a more responsive pc.

But this is all moot unless you find out if you even have integrated video. Can you please tell me the manufacturer and specific model of your motherboard (mobo).

that word was supposed to be rectagular uo yonder:mad:

Last edited:
Well, I know I don't want to remove anything. Windows 7 isn't that important. :p

My motherboard is an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe (Crossfire ready) Socket939.

Last edited:
you

you don't have integrated video on that board anyway. I think the video cards are a good place to start. One place to research would be forums in AMD/ATI and look for similiar occurances

I thought I'd try to install Vista, install the updates, and drivers. One of the Windows Updates was for my video cards. I got all that done, and tried to upgrade to 7. It got to "Completing Upgrade", ran that for awhile. My PC restarted, and after the start up screen, another screen came up that said the upgrade was unsuccessful and that it will restore my pc to the previous version of Windows.

I'm starting to think Windows 7 is not in my future any time soon.

the question is, just how much do you want to fight with it. It seems that people are in 1 of 2 camps, either the install went well with only a few hiccups or the installation went horribly wrong with various causes. RAM, Video cards, Drivers, Networking, bad ISOs....you name it, it happened. You might be in the camp like me that had multiple issues. If you have a pc that you're not using as a primary, then I suggest you try again if for nothing else to learn.
With that being said, have you tryed the ATI forums yet. Look into the crossfire compatibility or crossfire problems with 7.

the question is, just how much do you want to fight with it. It seems that people are in 1 of 2 camps, either the install went well with only a few hiccups or the installation went horribly wrong with various causes. RAM, Video cards, Drivers, Networking, bad ISOs....you name it, it happened. You might be in the camp like me that had multiple issues. If you have a pc that you're not using as a primary, then I suggest you try again if for nothing else to learn.
With that being said, have you tryed the ATI forums yet. Look into the crossfire compatibility or crossfire problems with 7.

I did look at the forums, but didn't really see anything. I could have looked in the wrong section though, so I don't know. The computer I'm using is the only one I have. If I had a secondary one that was having these troubles, i would be more apt to figure out the problems. I'm just getting tired of re-installing different versions of Windows.

I'm sure it's SOMETHING with my cards. After I installed Vista, I completed all the upgrades (which one was for Radeon X850 Crossfire Edition, which I have), I did what I posted above. After it went back to Vista, I decided to go ahead and try to install the latest driver for my cards. I downloaded it, and went to install it. Once again, BSOD popped up and the same crap started happening again. So, it's definitely a compatibility issue with my video card drivers.

Back