Windows 7 computer deselects active window

reallycoolguy

hi, i seem to have a problem with my computer deselecting my active window and normally i wouldn't care but it happens like every minute or so. i can't even type this without interruption. i've looked at my processes in task manager, and the only difference i see is that it will have svchost and windows error reporting activate for a few seconds before going away again. this leads me to believe i have a problem except it doesn't tell me what said problem is. i have looked at similar threads, but i haven't found a solution that worked. the only action that i've tried is turning off the error reporting except that just replaces the deactivating window with a constant notification that host process has stopped working and i need to close the program. Any help on this issue is much appreciated. i don't know if this helps or not but i have an asus g74sx.

If Windows Error Reporting is activating, you should leave an entry in the log, which you can check with the Event Viewer. If there are messages you might be able to gain more info by expanding the message and looking at the specifics.

But some things do run in the background all the time. If something is stealing focus, it might be showing a popup you are not seeing.

And I suppose you have removed any USB flash drives from your system for testing?

i looked in the event viewer, which before you said something, i had no idea about it, umm it says under the errors section that i have an application error which has happened 3 times in the last hour, 269 times in the last 24 hours, and 2362 times in the last 7 days. it doesn't say which application and the help option didn't help any, so where do i go from there? also, what's this testing i have to do? i only have my mouse in the usb thing but thats not it cause i've removed it and it still continues. thank you for your help so far.

ah, i found what it says, here is what it says:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 8/14/2012 2:14:06 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Andrew-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc100
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x74d3c9f1
Faulting process id: 0x21f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd7a4897c6770e
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: d5886e51-e63b-11e1-9b44-742f6879c097
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-14T18:14:06.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>19208</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Andrew-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>svchost.exe</Data>
<Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
<Data>4a5bc100</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>74d3c9f1</Data>
<Data>21f8</Data>
<Data>01cd7a4897c6770e</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\svchost.exe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>d5886e51-e63b-11e1-9b44-742f6879c097</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

The info may not be all that helpful. I think the exception code 0xc0000005 is an access violation.

But because the faulting application is a svchost, it does not point out the exact cause. A Svchost is a host process for other threads or processes, that run inside it. The offending item is shown as unknown. It does show the process ID, so some software, like Process Explorer, would be able to show what is running in that service host.

If you open Task Manager, under the Processes tab, you can use the View menu to set columns and show PID. If you match that number, or its decimal equivalent, you will know which service host is hiding the culprit.

If you check the Action Center, it may have some info, or allow you to check the net for info.

I am doing some investigating to find out if anything else is available to give you better info. Let us know if you discover anything else.

Worked it out, Disable windows firewall but make sure your firewall is active Via your router.
I don't think this is your answer. More likely Windows Firewall could be blocking something trying to call home. Not a good idea to disable the firewall.

SOLVED IT!!! it seems to be some weird glitch with the aero mouse pointers so just change what pointers you have and it seems to fix it :D

Last edited:
Having had the same problem, and not finding a solution in English, I ran a search in Spanish and came up with a solution that worked for me: Apparently, while using my LINK-D Wifi application to connect to my router, instead of the normal Windows Wireless Connector, it ran in the background minimized. After turning that off (the LINK-D wireless connect app.) everything went back to normal, which is great because it was driving me insane. Hope this helps,

Having had the same problem, and not finding a solution in English, I ran a search in Spanish and came up with a solution that worked for me: Apparently, while using my LINK-D Wifi application to connect to my router, instead of the normal Windows Wireless Connector, it ran in the background minimized. After turning that off (the LINK-D wireless connect app.) everything went back to normal, which is great because it was driving me insane. Hope this helps,

Please explain. My desktop is where this is happening, and I am hardwired. How do I shut off the app you mention?
So far I hate Windows 8! I may not be very OS savvy, but it seems like a step backwards!

I had the same problem and aslo have a LINK-D Wifi adapter, if you right click on the internet icon(bottom right) click on "Troubleshoot problems" it will run through the troubleshooter and fix a wireless connection issue, this solved my problem.

I found a tip elsewhere having tried all sorts of recommendations on various tech sites.
Run PANDA antivirus (free). It found a threat and removed it. Now all ok

Back