Windows 7 Computer disconnects from internet when sleeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayney2507

Using win7, it seems every time I wake the computer up, all my messengers have to reconnect, so I'm sure the computer disconnects from the internet when it sleeps.

I've looked all through different computer settings to try and find something to fix this, but.. nothing :/

One thing I did try was: Device Manager --> Network Adapter --> Power Management : and turn off the setting which allows it to be turned off. But nothing seems to have changed.

Any solutions?

Hi.

In device manager, go to the properties of the adapter. Then power management tab. Uncheck the box to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and save.

Reboot.

Ya, but did you reboot? Thanks for the bad rating. Do you do that or similar to all people that try to help ya out?

Well yes, since either you didn't fully read my initial post, or you're insulting my intelligence to think that I wouldn't have rebooted after actually trying something like that.

So if I see: "Did you find this post helpful?" - I will tend to answer no :)

However, if you have another solution to help me, you may get a big fat yes on the next post :D

Well yes, since either you didn't fully read my initial post, or you're insulting my intelligence to think that I wouldn't have rebooted after actually trying something like that.

I read it. My responses are for the thousands of people that may come across the thread in the future as well.

Not insulting you're intelligence as I didn't think anything positive nor negative of you. At the time, you made one post in a thread on a website and we've never met before. I don't know which level of skill you in particular or the others that will be reading, have with pcs. In my extensive experience, more people would not boot than doing so after a change like that. When it's mentioned, the usual response is, "I did now and it works."

Update your network driver and try the above again. If still not good, right click the desktop and choose Personailze, click Screen Saver, then click Change power settings. Now click Change plan settings next to the type you have the radio button chosen for. Check on settings here or under Change advanced power settings.

At the time, you made one post in a thread on a website and we've never met before. I don't know which level of skill you in particular or the others that will be reading, have with pcs. In my extensive experience, more people would not boot than doing so after a change like that. When it's mentioned, the usual response is, "I did now and it works."

Yea I appreciate that but surely it's better to assume a new forum user is relatively experienced and therefore not needed much forum help? :p Nevermind though.. back to the point.

Update your network driver and try the above again. If still not good, right click the desktop and choose Personailze, click Screen Saver, then click Change power settings. Now click Change plan settings next to the type you have the radio button chosen for. Check on settings here or under Change advanced power settings.

I also thought to update driver but it's up to date :/ I've been looking through the power settings (advanced too) for quite a while but none suggest to me that they'd solve this problem. Can you be specific with the setting(s) to change?

I doubt it's up to date. Especially if Windows Update told you it was. Anyhow, WU should never be used under any circumstance for drivers. Always manufacturer's site.

If you want me to show you which driver to install, type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Zip the saved file and attach to a post.

---

Not better to assume a new user is experienced. Quite the opposite in my many years of experience on forums. Perhaps I could say that of about 15 percent as a rough estimate, if so.

How do you know this?

You need to install a new driver because the one you have now does not work well and has caused you to seek help here.

I'm not a magician and can't guess which motherboard you have. Well, I could try I suppose. Install this:

RTL8111

Or if you want to be sure, attach the msinfo32 like I asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back