Windows 7 Computer doesn't make it to desktop, help!

JustWantItFixed

When I try to start my toshiba satellite L455D-S5976, it gives me the option between "start normally" or "system repair." When I chose "start normally," it shows the windows boot screen for a while, then restarts to the toshiba start screen, and the same menu again. If I chose "system repair," it shows an older type of windows boot screen, says something to the effect of "loading files" the the screen goes black, and the cursor comes up, and can be moved. I have left it on this blank screen for hours, and nothing has happened.

Have you tried booting your computer from a Windows 7 Repair Disk?
If you don't have one you can download one from our Link Removed due to 404 Error obtain the appropriate ISO for your architecture (32 or 64bit) burn the ISO to a CD and boot your machine from that (may require configuring BIOS 1st boot device to CD).
Select your language and keyboard options

Select your install

You can attempt a Startup Repair from there ( some report that it can take as many as three times)

You can also attempt a system restore from there (some report success using this option from the Repair Disk)
Or from the command prompt option you can attempt other more advanced recovery techniques such as using the Bootrec.exe utility How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

it just tells me "media test failure,please check cable" and "exiting PXE ROM"
Does that mean that you have downloaded and burned a repair ISO to CD or are otherwise using a repair CD or the Windows 7 install media to attempt to boot your machine?
That looks to me like the CD/DVD rom drive and possibly not even your hard disk are being recognized in or by your BIOS and the computer is consequently attempting to boot from a network device.
Have you configured your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD?
Is there an Fkey that you can use during POST to evoke a boot device menu and select CD/DVD from there?

I downloaded the repair iso from the link you gave me. I configured the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD. I have opened a boot device menu and chosen to boot from CD/DVD, and got the media media test failure message.

Try w/ an external optical drive. Eliminate that 1st. Sounds like hardware failure of some sort, more than any kind of software issue, to me.

Drew

I downloaded the repair iso from the link you gave me. I configured the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD. I have opened a boot device menu and chosen to boot from CD/DVD, and got the media media test failure message.
You may also want to try to reburn the ISO to create the bootable CD, perhaps consider using ImgBurn using a write speed of 4x, and perhaps different media. Test the CD in another computer to make sure it is bootable.

PXE ROM?????

Do you have a setting in the bios to turn it off? On mine it is just below the Enable LAN option.

Back