Windows 7 Computer freezes after being idle or after sleeping

Dominos9189

Hey guys I'm a first time poster to these forums. I'm currently experiencing an issue with my computer. About 2 months ago I started getting random freezes and would have to do a hard restart on my computer to restart. To see if it was a virus or any kind of malware, I did a clean reformat of my hard drive and was still having issues. Eventually it started taking forever to boot up and load files and I got a SMART status bad message. So I wound up replacing my hard drive with a brand new one and did a clean install of Windows 7. That seemed to fix the slow boot and file load times but now I'm still getting freezes. However they are not random. They seem to happen when I don't touch the computer for awhile, whether I have a program such as something downloading in the background or not. They also seem to happen when I close the computer and put it to sleep and leave it like that for awhile. I try to wake it up and I only get a black screen, however my computer is on as I can hear the components.

The strange thing is as long as I am actively using the computer it doesn't seem to do this. I was on it for about 6 hours yesterday night and nothing happened and the computer was working fine. I did various hard disk scans even though I know it can't be the hard drive seeing as I just replaced it. it also isn't my graphics card as i uninstalled the driver and let my computer run for awhile with the standard VGA adapter and it still froze after me not touching it for awhile. I also did a windows memory diagnostic scan and nothing came up. I'm thinking there are 2 seperate problems with my computer, one that I fixed by replacing the hard drive (the slow boot time and file loading times, it took me 20 minutes to open up windows explorer, it doesn't anymore.) and another that I am unsure of. Should I do more memtest passes? i heard that one is not enough and that you should do up to 7 to make sure your RAM isn't faulty. Any feedback on this would be awesome. The computer is only a year and a half old and I'd like to make it last another year and a half at least.

Here are my computer specs:

Model: Samsung R780

Processor: Intel Core i5 2.27 GHZ

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 330M (1GB Video Memory)

Hard Drive: 500 GB Hybrid SATA/Solid State (4GB of solid state memory), this is the new hard drive that I purchased.

If there's anything else you want to know about my computer, feel free to ask. Again, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback!

EDIT: So I tried downloading updates for a game and it immediately froze. So maybe the freezing is still happening on a random basis... I still don't understand what could be wrong...

Last edited:
Do you have all the MS updates? How long have you had this laptop? Have you been to Samsung's website to check for any firmware, software and driver updates?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi, thank you for replying. I've had the computer since August of 2010, so about a year and a half. I have all of the MS updates but I have not checked for any firmware update on the Samsung site, I will do that and let you know!

Back