Windows 7 Computer lock up & sound from speakers.

InitialKev

Honorable Member
I have a problem with my computer locking up with the keyboard and mouse unresponsive and a horrible sound coming from the speakers (I think). This has happened 5 times since I upgraded to a SSD. The first two times it happened the computer was really hot. Fan Speed showed that it was in the 70s. Since then I have gotten the temperature down to below 60. This happened 3 more times last night. Whenever it happens I would have to do a hard shut down using the power button. It boots up just fine without going to the "Windows did not shut down properly. Boot in safe mode or Start windows normally " screen.

What else besides heat causes this?

What temp is your CPU idling at if its around 60 then that is way to high for idle. I have an i7 and it idles at 40. The GPU could also be over heating for have a buggy driver. My laptop for example (Nvidia GPU) will not run on any newer drivers than one from April of last year. If I install a newer driver the mouse and keyboard lock up and the screen freezes. No BSOD, just locks up.

None of the temperatures listed in Fan Speed goes above 60. I plan on reapplying thermal paste when I get some free time but lately that is hard to come by.

Just an update. The problem seems to only occur when I'm web browsing using Fire Fox and viewing certain sites. Gun Broker. com and Zillow are two that seem to cause this. It doesn't happen when I'm working on Excel files or watching Youtube videos. And I was able to get the temps down some more into the 40s. Still haven't reapply the thermal paste yet as I'm trying to avoid taking it apart if I can keep the temps down by just blowing on the fan with canned air.

Bump. My laptop hasn't overheated but I'm still having freezing issues. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciated.

Could be your Windows install is corrupted. Run the following command
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Just tried it. Getting error 87. "The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context." I ran CMD as administrator and I copied and pasted the command.

Back