Windows 7 Computer randomly freezes, but doesn't restart

Kevin Baltodano

Hi there, this computer is working away for surveillance purposes. It has been crashing since installation, maybe once every two days. The computer does not restart neither shuts down. It justs freezes, and happened once when I was there. I tried to turn on the display but it acted like nothing was connected, so I could not see if there was a BSOD.
I opened the Event Viewer and the last event I can see (for example this very last time, the computer froze at 04:29 AM), under "Error" category, it displays: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has a bad block. The error appears 3158 times, from 01:12 AM to the time of the crash.
What am I able to do? Do I have to replace the HDD or would it be something else?

The computer specifications:
Code:
Computer:      DELL Inspiron 580sCPU:           Intel Core i3-540 (Clarkdale, C2)
               3066 MHz (23.00x133.3) @ 3059 MHz (23.00x133.0)
Motherboard:   DELL 0C2KJT
Chipset:       Intel H57 (IbexPeak DH)
Memory:        2048 MBytes @ 665 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
               - 1024 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KTW149-ELD
               - 1024 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KTW149-ELD
Graphics:      Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Processor - Integrated Graphics Controller [C2] [DELL]
               Intel HD Graphics (Ironlake), 749116 KB 
Drive:         ST31000333AS, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive:         TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H, DVD+R DL
Sound:         Intel 5 Series/34x0 Chipset PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
Network:       Broadcom BCM57788 NetLink PCI-E Network Adapter

Kevin,

You may want to backup your data. Your hard drive could be failing.

Open the Command Prompt by starting the computer and pressing the F8 key and choosing command prompt.

At the Command Prompt type the following

chkdsk /f /r

Space after k and before / and after f and before /

You can also click the link below and run the online diagnostics to see what results you get. If your hard drive fails you will need to have it replaced.

Dell PC Diagnostics

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L
Dell Social Media and Communities

Kevin,

You may want to backup your data. Your hard drive could be failing.

Open the Command Prompt by starting the computer and pressing the F8 key and choosing command prompt.

At the Command Prompt type the following

chkdsk /f /r

Space after k and before / and after f and before /

You can also click the link below and run the online diagnostics to see what results you get. If your hard drive fails you will need to have it replaced.

Dell PC Diagnostics

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L

Thanks for your answer. No sensitive data is at the disk right now, the computer is for surveillance and nothing extraordinary has happened. So I will run those tests and if necessary then I suppose that replacing the drive would fix the problem, am I right?

EDIT: I ran the Dell diagnostics tool and it crashed when analyzing the hard drive.

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

Yes, if looks like the hard drive will need to be replaced. If you are still within your warranty period you can contact me through a Private Message to have your hard drive replaced. If not within warranty you may want to contact the Dell Spare Parts Department for a replacemend hard drive, link below.

Dell Spare Parts Department - 1-877-717-3355

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L

Back
Top Bottom