Windows 7 Computer Randomly Shutting Down after New PSU and MOBO

RingAnimated

I Just had to replace my motherboard and power supply due to my old PSU dying (and you know that it is rare that the PSU dying doesn't kill the MOBO or something else). Now it is just randomly shutting down (without a BSOD sadly). Sometimes it is just random, just sometimes it is either during internet browsing, playing Half Life 2 Deathmatch (usually when at Skul`Shock), or video editing (that was a recent one). Here are my specs.

ASRock N6-8C GS FX Motherboard
COOLMAX 600W Power Supply
Windows 7 Gamer Edition (x64)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX-550 Ti (1GB GDDR5)
2 Seagate HDD's (x1 500GB and x1 1TB)
8GB DDR2 RAM by KomputerBay (Samsung rip-off)
AMD Athlon II x4 630 (2.8 GHz)
No Overclocking is being run, at least I don't think so...
TSSTcorp DVD drive
x2 Monitors (HP S2031 20" and HP W2071d 20" through VGA to DVI connectors.)

Any help is GREATLY! appreciated. Thank You!

Hi,

try checking that your bios on the new moBo is the very latest version:
ASRock > N68C-GS FX

I checked your gpu power requirements and the psu looks ok but I would go through your connections again just to check that something isn't loose or not fitting as it should. Could the moBo be shorting out on something? All these things are worth checking.

Check your temps, it doesn't sound like it should be overheating but it's best to check anyhow:
HWMonitor 1.22 download

(and you know that it is rare that the PSU dying doesn't kill the MOBO or something else).
Actually, it is rare, but not unheard of. Typically, when a PSU dies, it does not do so catastrophically but rather, one or more the output voltages stops - stopping the computer.

Sadly, what typically happened when more than just the the PSU fails is there was a severe power anomaly that takes out the motherboard (or something mounted on it) and the PSU at the same time.

That said, a cheap, no-name, budget PSU will not have advanced safety and protection circuits as a maker's higher-end models will either. If using a cheap PSU, all bets are off.

You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.​

Note, however, that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but not conclusive. So you might try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

:frown: It appears the download link to Microsoft's tool is broken. I have reported it and hopefully it will be fixed soon. But the Memtest link works, and the native (built in) tools don't require any download.

Last edited:
Hasn't shut off since the last time...let's see how long that lasts...Skul`Shock l8er...

Well if you've changed you mobo and PSU, and it still keeps hanging or shutting down, it must be something else? Temps, like suggested? Memories, like suggested? And, FOR HEAVENS SAKE, do run a thorough virus / malware scan.

Back
Top Bottom