Windows 10 Computer shuts down every morning between 6am and 7 am

speedyiv

Hello,

Problem - I am running Windows 10 v2004 OS Build 20231.1000 (Insider Preview Build). I updated to this build on October 8, 2020. I leave this computer on 24/7. Since that day, I have found the machine shut down every morning. I would think the problem is tied to this version of Windows except the first occurrence happened before the OS update.

So Far - I have used Event Viewer to look at Administrative Events but don't see Error or Critical Error events prior to the shutdowns. I have noted when the last entry was, so I know that the shutdowns occur between 6:00am and 7:00am. I don't see any log files in C:\Windows that have entries around the shutdown time. Reliability Monitor shows "Windows was not shut down properly" but the entry is time stamped after I restart the computer. There are no concerning entries prior to the shutdowns.

BIOS - The BIOS is at defaults (no overclocking). Specs below. I know it is weird to have 2 different RAM kits installed. The 2x16GB kit is for my next build but I went ahead and installed the DIMMs into this machine to test them. Even though they are all 3200MHz CL14 rated DIMMs, they are all running at JDEC standard and have been running this way for months.

Corsair AIO Water Cooler - I have had issues in the past with the Corsair AIO water cooler whacking out and letting the CPU overheat, but that was resolved by using RPM control instead of PWM control for the pump speed due to Corsair firmware bugs. I don't think this is the cause because I run a program called SIV that monitors the pump speed and logs anytime the it goes under 1800RPM (normal is ~2800RPM) and that log has no recent entries.

Help - I am looking for guidance on where else to look in Event Viewer, or wherever else, for clues to what is causing these daily shut downs. If I navigate to Applications Services and Logs - Microsoft - Windows, there are dozens of folders but I don't know which ones to look in.

Specs:
CPU - Intel i7-8700K
MOBO - Asus Maximus Hero WIFI
RAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZR - 2x16G DDR4 RAM
RAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR - 2x8GB DDR4 RAM
GPU - Nvidia Titan GPU
PSU - EVGA 1000G3 PSU
AIO - Corsair H110i AIO Water Cooler
OS Drive - NVME - Samsung 960Pro 512GB - OS Drive
Data Drive - NVME - Samsung 970Pro 512GB
Data Drives (PCIE SSD) 2 x Intel SSDSC2BW240A4 205GB
Data Drive (PCIE SSD) Samsung 850Pro 512GB
Data Drive - Platter - Western Digital Black (WDC2003FZEX) 2TB
Data Drive - USB - SeaGate Backup Plus 2TB - Windows File History Backup Drive
Data Drive - USB - SeaGate Backup Plus 2TB - Macrium Reflect Backup Drive

Thanks!

If it's shutting down instead of powering off then filter for User32 events in the System log in Event Viewer

Back