Windows 7 Computer Shuts Down Every Time I Watch YouTube Videos?

Dark785

Ok, to start this off I'm going to provide some backstory into my problem. This is from a thread I created here about a month ago.

Ok, so for a brief overview, every user account on my home computer has internet access but mine.
I have Windows 7 (64 bit), my computer is a gateway, and I use Internet Explorer. If anyone needs any more information about this sort of stuff, just let me know and I'll do my best to provide it.

This problem started after my anti-virus software (ZoneAlarm) caught two virus. It got rid of them like it always does; however, after that the internet wasn't working on my profile. By what I remember, before I ran the scan and got rid of the viruses, the internet wasn't working for anyone's account. Then after the scan, everything was working fine again but the internet on my account still wasn't working. This was about two weeks ago, so I don't remember all the details.

So, onto the exact problem. Whenever I click internet explorer down in the task bar either nothing comes up at all, OR a blank window will open after about 30 seconds of waiting, and then close on it's own after about 10 seconds. I should mention that according to the little icon in the bottom right-hand corner, I have internet access; and I can access my e-mail through windows live and read, send, and receive mail, I just can't click any of the links in the e-mails.

I've tried opening the internet with no add-ons, I've tried going to the control panel and making internet explorer my default program for everything internet related or whatever, I've tried running CCleaner--none of it has made a difference.

So, take that into consideration. I eventually just deleted my user account (keeping the fileson the account) and created a new one. The internet was working again, butstill not like it should. Every time I would open the internet after that, theinternet explorer window would go black before for about two secondsbefore the webpage contents would be available. It was working though, so Ididn't think much of it. Anyways, now the problem has gotten worse.

Every time Itry to go onto YouTube, the screen flashes a bit (its really funky I don’t knowhow to describe it) and then after a couple seconds Youtube comes back up andthere is a message bubble in the right hand corner saying “Display driverstopped responding and has recovered. Display AMD driver stopped responding andhas successfully recover.” Then, when I try to click and watch a video onYouTube, the whole screen goes black for about a second and then the screengoes blue, with allot white text saying something like “A problem has beendetected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.” Itgoes onto say “Attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed.”And then it goes on to give advice about what to do like checking hardware andwhat not. After this the computer restarts.

I know that’sallot to read, but I wanted to be as detailed as I could be. Mind you, I knownext to nothing about drivers and what not, so if anyone needs informationabout drivers, graphics cards, and that stuff, you’re going to need to explainto me how I would find out which ones I have.

Any help isgreatly appreciated.

All I might suggest, if you have not already done so, is to use an Administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow to allow the system files to be checked. Maybe it will find something missing or damaged.

But if a virus removal process was completed, hard to say what might have been done to the system. If it is a driver situation, usually you can remove those drivers in Device Management (devmgmt.msc) and reinstall them. For AMD, there is a Catalyst driver of some type that might also need to be reinstalled, I just don't have any experience with AMD video cards.

Sorry for the late reply. I tried running SFC /scannow, but when I typed it in and hit enter, all that happened was a black window popped up and then disappeared right away?
I went to "tools" on the IE menu bar and click "Compatibility View Settings" and checked the "Display all websites in compatibility view box". Now YouTube is working again; however, I'm still getting occasional black windows before websites will come up.
I've yet to check the drivers, I'll do that soon though.
Thanks for the help :)

You have to run the SFC in an Administrative command window. Hit the Win key then type cmd and then hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Ok, I did that. It's telling me that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"
I tried to go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. There are a few WinZip Files and a Text Document. The Text Document has today's date so I tried to open it, but it tells me "Access is denied". I am using an Administrator account. I'm not sure how to get to windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

The way to get a printout of the SFC entries is shown in the link.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

By using the command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

You should be able to look at or near the end of the text file and see what is corrupted. You can copy the command and paste it into an Administrative Command Window and it will put the text file on your desktop. Attach, and maybe zip, it if you like. The link also covers how to replace some files that may be corrupt, but I have not had the opportunity to try to repair any.

Back