Windows 7 Computer suddenly won't boot

djthurman

So today I went ahead and installed some windows updates, and while they were installing I went downstairs to eat dinner and came back to my computer not being able to start up at all.

http://imgur.com/a/iJM0r

The computer starts up but flashes a blue screen and just restarts, I went ahead and turned the auto restart off and the blue screen in the above link is what I'm getting. I've also tried to do a startup repair, but just hangs on that black screen, I've waited about an hour several times..
I've also tried to reinstall windows via bootable flash drive, but it also hangs on the setup is starting window, I've also tried that several times for several hours. I've also tried to repair it via bootable flash, but it does the same thing as the normal startup repair and hangs on that black screen.
Does anyone have any idea of what to do?
I have no touched the bios at all, I'm telling the truth about installing some windows updates, and came back about 30 minutes later to my computer acting like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WindowsForum mobile app

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread, I've never had to use this site before.

Edit: I've also tried safe mode with no success

I am not the Blue Screen person here, but does the Stop Code say 0x000000ED or am I not seeing it correctly. Have you been able to check for a .dmp file in the Windows Directory? If you can set it to write a Minidump file, you can attach that and someone might be able to see what is happening.

When you tried Safe Mode, what did you do if you could even get into it?

But the ED stop code seem to point to an Unmountable Boot device. Is this an older system where the hard drive might be having problems?

When you get the black screen, is anything showing on it, such as a blinking cursor, and if so, where on the screen?

Ive already fixed it. I'm not really sure what happened to it in the first place though.
Since it wouldn't let me into startup repair, or repair from the windows installation, I found that you could press shit+f10 to open command, and from there I did a dskchk on both C: and D:.
C finished in about a minute, and D froze at about 57%, so I figured that was where the problems were originating. So I then went ahead and did a format D:, and that fixed everything.
I assume some part of the windows update I did corrupted the registry or something along those lines

Good Job... Hard to believe some corruption problems on a non-critical partition would keep the system from booting. Unless you have moved some critical Windows files to it. The D: partition is on the same physical hard drive as C: I assume.

Correct, but I believe that I had windows installed on D: not C:

Back