Windows 7 Conexant (Realtek) AC'97 Audio adaptor won't work

KAC87

Hope someone can help. I just upgraded my HP DV5215US laptop to Win7 64 bit. There doesn't seem to be a readily available driver that I can install to get it working. I've been to the Realtek & Conexant web sites and tried all the drivers I could find on them. I also tried drivers suggested by others (too many to list really). HP can't help as they say they are dependent on MS or the mfr for drivers. The system specs are: AMD Turion ML-34 (1.80 GHz). 2 GB Ram. Win 7 home premium 64 bit. Anyone have any tips/tricks to help me do this?

I tried Vista 64 drivers, but they didn't work either.

Did you try running the vista drivers in compatibility mode?

I tried running vista 64 drivers - I'm pretty sure I tried compatibility mode but I can try again. And yes, realtek claims the drivers they posted on their website are for 32- and 64-bit win7, but neither seems to work. I'm going to keep trying and I'll re-post if I get them to work.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it had worked for others but anyhow fingers crossed!

Hope someone can help. I just upgraded my HP DV5215US laptop to Win7 64 bit. There doesn't seem to be a readily available driver that I can install to get it working. I've been to the Realtek & Conexant web sites and tried all the drivers I could find on them. I also tried drivers suggested by others (too many to list really). HP can't help as they say they are dependent on MS or the mfr for drivers. The system specs are: AMD Turion ML-34 (1.80 GHz). 2 GB Ram. Win 7 home premium 64 bit. Anyone have any tips/tricks to help me do this?

I tried Vista 64 drivers, but they didn't work either.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Device Driver select: Sound video and game controllers.
double click on the realteck hd audio; click on update driver; select, Search automatically for updated software.
The Computer will go online and find the correct driver and install it for you. If it does not let us know

have you emailed realtek or conexant and asked them about your problem they maybe able to help better than we can failing that you may just fine youself SOL

Just tried that - "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". Lucky me. I'm not giving up yet though!

Unfortunately, i have not been able to find a solution to this. It is obvious that this is a quite persistent problem because the web is loaded with threads on this. I recently did a clean install of Win7 x86 ultimate on my girlfriends old Gateway MX6436 Notebook (2005'ish). Even though i am an running Win7 on only 512mb of RAM, so far it has worked flawlessly.....except.... the sound card. ''Realtek AC '97" "This driver cannot start (code 10)" etc, etc, etc. So far i have tried everything... including:

Downloading Realtek driver "bundle" if you will... "WMDxxx.exe" or whatever.... only to recieve the "rtkvac.sys not found" error

Downloading all possible drivers directly from Realtek.... nothing (including vista and even xp drivers)

Windows update.... nothing... either does not acknowledge and says cannot find driver or.... says that the most recent driver is installed.

Updated My bios version..... older computer and a newer bios was available........... nothing.

Control Panel... device manager... uninstall/reinstall/update driver.... nothing

There is countless, poorly detailed, or obvious solutions in all the threads that i have sorted through. Unfortunately i have tried all of the obvious and not so obvious suggestions i could find and i have failed miserably. Of all the things that have worked for some, none have worked for me... So i hope you have better luck with that

Just tried that - "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". Lucky me. I'm not giving up yet though!
This makes me think that the driver is installed and that the problem lies elswhere in your sound/audio settings. Have you fiddled with these? settings

HAHA just because it says it's up to date doesn't always mean it's going to work infact it's so prevelant that i never trust a driver update from M$...
as from the time it gets from the manufacturer to M$ to windows update there seems to be a real how can we screw this driver attitude somewhere because i've never had anything but trouble with win update installing drivers ... case in point
my nic is an Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller and everytime M$ update tried to install an updated driver it either didn't install properly or installed and failed to work, but grab the same version driver from Marvells website and install it and it works perfectly hrmmm M$ do shit to drivers that will most likly screw them up (but they say Oh no we dn't touch a driver) Bollocks you dont

at 4yrs old you may find your SOL finding an driver to work under win7 x86 or x64 best bet buy a little usb audio stick and turn off the onboard sound

Yes, I've tried meddling with the audio settings. But I still get no sound and an error "Code (10) Device cannot start"

I'm going to try vista 64 drivers if I can find them and attempt compatibility mode.

Ok so heres what i did..... first i just completely uninstalled whatever driver i did have that wasnt working, completely removed the sound device (via device manager), waited for windows to recognize it again, it failed to install driver but did point me to the conexant driver on my computer manufacturers website (gateway). Im pretty sure i had tried this driver previously but i didn't work... so then i went ahead to reinstall again but this time i did it in compatibility mode with Windows XP service pack 3. This worked instantly... I don't know if that will help you out or not but i figured since i found my solution i would post it. Keep in mind that i tried various other things as well so there could be a hidden combination of crap that caused it to work.... Summary: this may not work for you or you may have already attempted it but go to your manufacturers website and download the most recent compatible conexant driver then run it in compatibility mode with whatever OS you had beforehand...... good luck

Last edited:
I can't quite figure out how to do that yet. I've asked one of our IT techs at work for some hands on assistance, so maybe...

I can't quite figure out how to do that yet. I've asked one of our IT techs at work for some hands on assistance, so maybe...

To instal a prog in the compatibility mode;
right click on the setup.exe of the program to be instyalled.
Select Properties
Click on compatibility
Select the OS that will be compatible
select Appy/ok

Right click again on the prog and select run as administrator and install the program.

Back