Windows 7 connect to smart TV

BongoKongo

I am supposed to be able to connect to my Sony bravia Smart TV by wifi to a win 7-win 8 PC but I cannot get windows or the TV to see each other.

(Also the TV aint all that smart. It has a great 3D engine but the quality control must have gone off at Sony because the build quality sucks & online consists of the Sony network & a few Sony chosen Apps only, you cannot really go online and browse like you can with windows..)

Anyway back on topic... I can can see networked wifi printers, phones etc in windows 7 or 8, but not this darn TV.
The TV can connect & go online using wifi through my wireless router without any trouble. It's got me stumped!
When I run the Network Troubleshooter it keeps telling me that I have a connection problem & to use the connection Troubleshooter to fix that first, but when I do it says there is nothing wrong.

I'm sure it will turn out to be something as simple as a service that needs to be put on auto but unless you know what it needs windows won't tell you.

If I'm not mistaken, what your trying to accomplish is not possible. Simply because it's made that way. I think devices like that are setup only to gain access to the Internet and that's it. There's no protocol/code or like a PC would have. Just my theory, but contact Sony directly and see what they say.

I have an LG 47LM670T which is a 47" smart 3D tv. It connects wirelessly to my laptop and netbook and can access and play media files stored on them. I cannot see the tv on my pc's but all networked devices can be seen and accessed by the tv.

If I'm not mistaken, what your trying to accomplish is not possible. Simply because it's made that way. I think devices like that are setup only to gain access to the Internet and that's it. There's no protocol/code or like a PC would have. Just my theory, but contact Sony directly and see what they say.

I'd be checking to see if the media sharing services are up and running properly on the windows machine and then connect to the pc from the tv and not the other way around as the OP has been doing. The Tech behind it is called DLNA

The TV is very limited in what it can do. Possibly because of Digital Rights Management protocols, but you should be able to stream music or photos and maybe some videos from your computer to it.

Have you added the computer as a media server on the TV in the Home Network section? Does the TV show in the Network and Sharing Center - Advanced Sharing - Media Streaming dialog?

I have an LG 47LM670T which is a 47" smart 3D tv. It connects wirelessly to my laptop and netbook and can access and play media files stored on them. I cannot see the tv on my pc's but all networked devices can be seen and accessed by the tv.
Yep,, that is exactly what is supposed to be happening here too. The TV is supposed to be able to connect to the PC by wifi & play audio, video etc from shared folders on the PC.
But no matter what settings I use, the TV doesn't find the PC. I have even tried getting the router to assign a static IP address for it using the TV MAC address, but that doesn't work either.

I have done many google searches for the answer without any luck,,& even the "Sony Help" doesn't have a clue about this TV yet.
My TV was made in June 2013 & all their online help is for the last generation of Sony TV's and they all connected to PC's by cable. The support people who have answered my emails know even less about it than I do (which doesn't say much because I'm as thick as a post).

I will just do without streaming video - audio for a while until someone works out how to do it on this TV.
So thanks for all you help & advice guys, it is appreciated.

I'm a bit confused by this statement:

I can can see networked wifi printers, phones etc in windows 7 or 8, but not this darn TV.

I can't see my tv from Windows - but the tv can see the windows pc's. If you're looking on your pc for the tv I wouldn't expect you to see it - you need to be looking on the tv for the pc. To operate it with my LG tv I have run a utility called smartshare which came with my tv. This enables DLNA on my pc. I don't know if smartshare is LG specific - if not then it might enable DLNA for your Sony, if it is then you need the equivalent for the Sony - have you installed such a system on your pc?

If your wireless connection is working, have you checked the IP addresses it is using to make sure it is in your network?

If you go to settings on the TV and Network settings and Home Network-Show/Hide Media servers, does the PC show up in a list there?

I you open the Advanced Sharing options on the PC, In the Media Streaming options, does the TV show up as there?

Stream Media.JPG

For anyone else reading this -> I've used LG's smartshare with my Philips smart tv and it works fine. In theory it should work with any smart tv using DLNA

Back