Windows 7 Connecting to Comcast cable modem still nada

pidjones

Connecting to Comcast cable modem finally fixed!

I am trying to help a lady with Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit on a nice DX4822 Gateway. She had internet connectivity for almost a year, then it faded and stopped. I can connect to the cable modem with no cable connected (not provisioned) and see the web site on it for diags, and can connect through the cable modem with an XP netbook very successfully. Any ideas? I have tried a "clean boot", reloaded the NIC drivers from the latest on the Gateway site, tried a different cable modem, many, many restarts and modem power down and back. Nada. Single computer Linksys cablemodem. Comcast provider. She was on and then her connection faded over months and then nothing. Comcast had a tech on site for three hours one day - nada. He even tried another modem - nada. This is my first experience with Win 7 and honestly, I may consider a (choke) Mac running XP in a VM if I don't find a simple solution. I figure: NIC is OK because it connects to the modem and sees the web pages in it as long as it is not connected to the cable and provisioned. It also gets everything (IP address, DNS, etc) but WINS server when connected, but will not connect to the internet. Then, if I connect my XP netbook to the cablemodem and cycle the power on it, I get on the network easy with it. So???

Last edited:
pidjones:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Open the network and sharing center and determine what you have for a network location (Home, Work, Public) try changing it to Work. Use the network troubleshooter and see if it provides any useful information.
If the NIC is a gigabit network adapter, you may have to dumb down the Speed and Duplex settings in the adapter properties, click the configure button and select the advanced tab, select speed and duplex in the left column and use the dropdown arrow in the right column to change it to 10Mbps/half, start there and work your way back up to 100 full.
Also in that same dialog box you may actually have to add the MAC (physical address) of the adapter. Find it by using a command prompt and typing
ipconfig /all
write it down, remove the dashes (hyphens) and enter the remaining 12 digits into the value box in the right column when you select Network Address in the left column.
Good luck, keep us posted
Regards
Randy

Thanks, Trouble. I have tried the speed changes to no avail. I have tried it set at both Work and Public. The troubleshooter always says that it can't find the problem, and asking for more details says that "The default gateway is not available". I had not tried manually entering the adapter address. I will try that the next time I go over there - probably tomorrow.

Call Comcast they will send out a tech, to check it out if it is a bad cable modem they will replace it.
They have already spent 3 hours onsite, and replaced the modem. Nada still. My little netbook running XP goes through it fine, but not her Win7 desktop. I've personally spent over two hours on the phone with elevated level tech support. They are stumped, too. After trying the MAC tip by Trouble, I'm considering a total system reload (it is supposed to have a recovery partition on the HDD).

Compare the IP addressing scheme that your XP NetBook is getting when it's working to that of the problem computer when it's not working and see what is different. Is the modem/router doing network address translation (are you getting private reserved addresses, like 192.168.nnn.nnn) if you are getting "the default gateway is not available" then it's either likely that you are not getting a complete DHCP addressing scheme from he router (IP, SubnetMask, DefaultGateway, DNS server) try manually setting the IP address of the inside edge of the router as the default gateway's static value. Also when you adjust the speed and duplex of the adapter start with 10/half and make sure to reboot the machine after each change. Also just on the off chance the IPv6 might be causing an issue disable it (uncheck it) in the adapter's properties.
If none of the above seem to help, try safemode with networking.
If still no joy, then you really need to look at any third party firewall or internet security suites that are installed on the machine and completely remove them using the programs and features applet in the control panel and follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, a list of which can be found here (if yours is not on the list, google for it).
Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Thanks, all. I will try these tomorrow when I have my netbook with me (I normally ride my GoldWing to work, and don't carry the netbook unless it is needed). BTW, she does not use a router - just the Gateway 4822 NIC connected with (Cat 5, I believe - may be Cat 6) the modem. She has a Linksys cablemodem,, but also a Scientific Atlanta that Comcast left. Comcast presently has her Linksys registered, but I might switch back to the Scientific Atlanta as it is Docsis 2 while the Linksys still has Docsis 1.1 firmware, and I don't want to fight with Comcast about having them load the new firmware. BTW, I have connected through both of them to the internet successfully. And, the Win 7 desktop will connect to either one's web client until I connect it to the Comcast cable and it provisions itself - then the Gateway can no longer even communicate to the modem's web client. Most confusing. I wish that she did have a router so that I could be online at the same time as trying to get her desktop on. I do know that the modem has to be rebooted (power cycle) each time the Ethernet is unplugged from it to switch computers, etc.

I do know that the modem has to be rebooted (power cycle) each time the Ethernet is unplugged from it to switch computers, etc.
That's because the current ip address assignment from comcast is tied to the MAC address of the adapter that's currently plugged into their network.
Don't forget the adding of the MAC (physical address) of the adapter to the network address property of the adapter.

That's because the current ip address assignment from comcast is tied to the MAC address of the adapter that's currently plugged into their network.
Don't forget the adding of the MAC (physical address) of the adapter to the network address property of the adapter.

That may well be the ticket, as I remember that the property was set Not Present as you showed.

It usually is set to not present by default and by and large that is a satisfactory setting and works generally well with most network devices,....
but not all and some have overcome issues similar to yours by actually entering the actual MAC address into that location, saving and rebooting.
Don't know exactly why and it's a rare one, but it's worth a try. Seems to be with just some cards and how they interact with some network appliances.

Tonight I tried entering the MAC manually. Nada. I tried:
Temporarily disabled Windows firewall - nada
Reset Winsock, IPv4 TCP/IP, IPv6 TCP/IP stacks - nada
Clean boot - nada
Safe mode with networking (when I could finally get it into it) - nada

I power cycled the modem each time.

Had the modem MAC swithched to the Scientific Atlanta Docsis 2 - nada

Her connection works - I'm typing this on it.

Here is her ipconfig /all results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BettyHampton-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-11-xx-xx-xx
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9c1:4b12:786e:baa4%16(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 68.32.252.252(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:38:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:18:49 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.32.252.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.252.196.132
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268444945
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-65-0B-47-00-25-11-A5-C7-58
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.166
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.tn.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:4420:fcfc::4420:fcfc(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

And, the same from my Acer netbook (XP):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AAO
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102/8103/8136 Family PCI-E FE NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-8B-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.32.253.52
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::223:8bff:fe70:2e88%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.32.252.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.252.196.132
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:31:02 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:31:02 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Most confusing! I'm about ready to try a re-load of her OS from the recovery partition in a few days if I can't get it corrected soon. I don'tthink she has any programs installed, and I can back up her data to a USB.

After trying a total restore on her system, I left her my netbook so that she can check her email and Facebook, and took her Gateway home. I picked up a Netgear NIC at Staples on the way home, thinking that I would have to install it to fix the problem. Well, this is her Gateway that I'm on right now. I connected right up through my router, and then I connected directly to my cable modem. Think her modem(s) bad? It works fine with my netbook. Of course, something could have jiggled into contact on the 20 mile trip home with me. It is an onboard NIC, though. I don't see how that could happen. I might open it up just to check for anything loose.

Think Comcast is messing her up? Bad coax? I have a spare or two of those, also. I might take it back to her and install it when we take her home from church tomorrow. Somehow I don't think it will work on her modem, might take mine with me.

Nope I think that unless you are comparing apples to apples then I would follow-up on installing the alternate NIC you picked up (just to give you another shot at the prize when you take it back). The issue seems to be what will work with what, her nic in her computer at your house through your router to your ISP provided Device works but not at her house.... what's differernt, other than practically everything, from the cable you might be using through the fact that she isn't using a router... don't even know if the ISP provided devices are the same. So it's most likely an interoperability issue and I like the idea of adding the second NIC something you're sure is a bit more generic and mainstream and likely to have proper Win7 drivers and a broader list of other devices that it's likely to play well with, other than that I might try to convince her to pick up a router (identical you yours) save the money on the NIC and put it towards a router. It will give her a bit more versatility and scaleability and you won't be getting her something that she really doesn't need, since you've more or less proven that her NIC works (at least at your house) so if your router works with her Comcast device then you're golden.
Keep us posted, I'd like to hear how you ultimately manage to beat this problem.
Regards
Randy

Well, I was typing that last night going straight through my modem, not my router. I took her computer back today and hooked it up in her house - nothing. I also took my modem with me and hooked it up im place of hers. I could still connect up with my netbook (I was a bit surprised at that, but I guess my MAC showed OK in Comcast's database). I could not connect with her computer still, though. This totally eliminated the router as I was using hers without my router, just my modem and cable connection (still Comcast, but 20 miles away). I called Comcast, and they admitted that they had been upgrading systems in the area and might need to check on her headend equipment. They intimated that she might need a Docsis 3 modem, which I doubt since they are still slightly rare and only really needed - in the write-ups that I've found - to reach the highest speeds, which she isn't subscribing for anyway. Anyway, they are send a supervisor-level tech out tomorrow to check her service. If that doesn't get it, I might take my router over to see if that will get her on. This is a lady in her 80's, and she really only uses it for email and keeping up with family on Facebook. Thanks for all of the troubleshooting advice so far. I guess I'll be forced to learn Win 7 as our company is migrating to it as soon as they can find an installation that meets our security requirements. Our biggest problem will be getting our present software (which has a large investment) to operate with it.

Did you have a chance to try the other NIC that you purchased?
No, since it worked so well with the on-board NIC (which has Win 7 drivers), I returned it unopened to Staples on my way home. They aren't far away, so I could always try that if Comcast doesn't succeed tomorrow. I can also take in my router to try, but I'd rather that she not have to buy any more equipment (I would buy the NIC for her if he needed it).

I'm not holding out much hope for comcast to solve the issue so you're likely to be back. You might want to take this intel driver with you just in case the gateway driver is less than optimal, I understand that it worked at your house, but it never hurts to have the latest and greatest and this one seems to be only about a month old.
Also assuming you haven't done it already, take another cat5 cable with you also, I know your XP netbook worked at her house as well, but it's worth a shot.
Additionally when you have her computer connected normally as it's suppose to be, can you ping anything? Like the default gateway, of the listed DNS servers or Google at 64.233.169.99, perhaps even a trace route just to see where it's failing.

I've already downloaded the latest Intel drivers for her NIC and burned a CD/tried them. They do include some nice new features, but not the one that I need - connecting her to Comcast. I've tried three Cat5 cables, no difference. Once the modem provisions, I can't even ping 192.168.100.1! I've tried all of the IP addresses in her ipconfig list, too. Nothing. I've tried setting the DNS to other "open" DNS addresses, but that didn't help either. I see eBay has lots of cheap wired routers listed, and if Comcast doesn't come through for her tomorrow and I can get her on with my router, I may just pick her up one of them.

Well, Comcast told her to take it to Best Buy to have it repaired. Funny it can get on at my house, but not hers. Anyway, I will try to take my router over to her house after work tomorrow. If that works I can always pick up a cheap wired-only router from eBay. If it doesn't, I'll go back to Staples for a NIC.

The words, I told you so, come to mind.
As a comcast customer myself, I've had my own experiences with them and their particular brand of support. But pretty much if the technician's laptop will connect, then you're pretty much on your own.
Likely to be a NIC -> Modem interop issue.
Does she have the same modem as your's at your place? I assume not since it worked at your place and doesn't at her's.
So possibly a generic mainstream NIC 10/100 maybe stay away from the Gigs.

Back