Windows 7 connecting to wireless printer

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
HP AIO printer connected to Netgear wireless router.
status on router and printer OK.
wpa2 security implemented.
no other computer on wireless.
W7 and Vista computers connected via wire.
no problem with either connecting to inet thru Netgear to AT&T modem/router. W7 sees Vista computer - not connected.
No IP conflict between routers or systems. Netgear IP = 10.0.0.x - AT&T = 192.168.1.x
cannot see printer from either computer.
Connect printer via wire to Netgear and all is good.

What am I missing??????????????/

thx

Have you checked the printer documentation, is it capable of connecting to a wireless network that is using WPA_2?
Is there a means by which you can print a configuration page that will show the IP address of the wireless interface for the printer? Usually this involves holding down a button when you turn the computer on, again the printer documentation might help with this.
I know in a lot of instances with these type of printers you have to choose a single connection interface, sometimes they will not support both wired and wireless simultaneously.
Is the Netgear router the only source of wireless DHCP on your network or is it possible the ATT device may also be handing out DHCP address, not exactly sure why you are employing double natting with a Class A and a Class C private reserved IP addressing scheme. It just seems to me that things might be easier if all network devices were on the same subnet.

thx for the reply
the printer has a valid IP address when connected wireless
The same address shows on the router
It has the correct WPA2 key and is set for WPA2
When connected wired it switches to wired and works fine. I suppose there is some strange thing happening with the security on wireless but everything looks correct.
Different addresses are due to the ATT router using 192. addresses. I didn't set that up, I usually just change the 192.168.1.xxx to a 192.168.10.xxx but I suppose 10.0.0.xxx works just as well.
I think it is totally STUPID that ATT set up their router at the same IP as most other routers. No idea that there might be an IP conflict. I run into it all the time. Then again no one said that ATT was smart.

If you can ping the printer while it's connected wirelessly then I would suggest maybe checking HP's website for your specific make and model printer and see if you can download the latest full featured drivers that include the network installation setup, and run that from the Windows 7 machine and see if that helps.

thx trouble.
the only real dif between wired and wireless is the security.
the router knows it is there and the printer knows it is connected. It has a valid IP so the router must have accepted the security code. I reentered it to make sure it was correct. The computers just can't see it.

That of course makes perfect sense. And a temporary proof of concept, might be to temporarily remove the security and run the router open just to see if that's the case.
I was just thinking that perhaps HP's full feature driver software package might help, because I believe during the install it actually goes out and looks for the printer on the network and comes back with a printer model and ip address to show you that it has been found and then installs a hp branded IP port for subsequent communications.
I know I had similar issues with a DELL AIO, (probably made by HP and branded by Dell) and the normal steps for installing a network printer using a simple TCP/IP port just wouldn't get the job done.

I didn't write it down but it is a pretty new one
Photosmart Premium is on the front
it is a Cxxx-m, I think
Don't recall the exact #

Again, not sure which driver you are using, but if you are using the CD included with the printer when it shipped then you should probably download the full featured driver package from HP, as best I could determine without knowing the exact model number for your printer they have a driver update as recent as March of this year, which is almost certainly more recent then the one that shipped with the printer. And they all report to "Improve Windows 7 Support and Improve Network Installation and Networking Functionality for Network connected products."

Back